The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 16, 2010, 07:24 PM   #1
DG45

S&W Model 1917 45 revolver hammer block question

I own a 1937 Brazilian contract version of the S&W Model 1917 45 cal. revolver. I was trying to figure out if it has a hammer block (which I assume is meant to make it safe to carry with 6 rounds in the cylinder instead of 5, right?).I don't know what to look for though.

I know theres a schematic and parts list online at www.e-gunparts.com and from there you go to S and find Smith &Wesson, and from there go to Smith & Wessons Model 1917 revolver to find the schematic drawing and parts list.

Key N-53 is supposedly the hammer block, but they're out of stock and there's no image. There are two different sideplates listed, both shown as Key N- 22A. One is for item # 374620 (does not use N-53 block). The other is for Item # 374650 (which is for the N-53 Block). If there were images maybe I could tell from the type of sideplate I have whether my gun has the block.

Can anybody show me a photo of a hammer block on a M-1917 Smith or a photo of the two different sideplates and identify which one uses the hammer block?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old June 16, 2010, 09:03 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Commercial Model 1917's made after about 1926 do have hammer blocks; the original U.S. M1917 does not. My Brazilian contract gun does not, but I understand some do. Anyway, that is why there are two sideplates listed for the 1917. The hammer block is p/n 53 in that diagram; it is the second S&W type, introduced c. 1926, not the current type.

Guns made for that type of hammer block have a slot in the sideplate and a hand with a sloped ramp that pushes the hammer block back into the sideplate when the trigger is pulled (not up and down as in the current system). You should be able to see the hammer block in your gun (if it is there) if you use a strong light and look into the hammer slot as you cock the hammer.

Jim

Last edited by James K; June 16, 2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old June 18, 2010, 01:41 AM   #3
DG45

Thanks for the help, Jim. Looks like no one has a photo. DG
Old June 18, 2010, 06:44 AM   #4
mega twin

If you haven't pulled your side plate off, cock the hammer,hold it with your thumb,pull the trigger and ride the hammer down while letting off the trigger.
If the firing pin protrudes thru the frame,it doesn't have a block or it is malfunctioning.
Old June 18, 2010, 12:12 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, mega twin,

You are describing a gun with a transfer bar. Your procedure won't work on an S&W revolver because the rebound slide will retract the hammer with or without the hammer block. The hammer block is intended for a real disaster where the hammer is hit so hard it crushes the rebound slide or the hammer pin shears off.

If DG45 looks into the frame in front of the hammer and can't see a hammer block moving sideways as the gun is cocked, then there isn't any. He should also be able to see the slot in the sideplate from there without taking the sideplate off.

Jim
Old June 21, 2010, 05:35 AM   #6
mega twin

that's what I get for owning mostly Rugers.