The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2013, 12:19 PM   #26
Vance

Yes. RCBS and Dillon charge more for their equipment, but you get a lifetime warranty that follows the equipment and no BS when you call them. Lee on the other hand has only a two year warranty and I have had them argue about honoring it. Lee does make some good stuff, but it's up to each person to choose how much of a value it is to them.

As for myself, I would rather pay a little more and not have to argue about warranty issues.

That being said, I happen to own a Lee Classic Cast single stage for what I use it for. Single stage presses are indeed low tech devices and not much can go wrong with them.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:25 PM   #27
jdscholer

I'm partial to the RCBS Yaller Series, although it is kinda rare. jd

Old February 10, 2013, 12:34 PM   #28
droptrd

Bottom line, RCBS is good. If you prefer red over green, hornady and lee are good as well. So is Lyman. Everyone has their favorite color. The RCBS Rockchucker is a great product that will give you years of reliable service. I am using a Hornady press. Its Aluminium (OMG! Say it Aint So! That thing will break the first time you use it!) Its a great press and has a lifetime warranty. Not sure about the Lee or RCBS. Another option for you.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:34 PM   #29
billcarey

You may want to consider what type of priming you like to do before making a decision. If you like to prime on the press there are differences that could make a difference. This is why I would go for the RC over the Lee...your mileage may vary.

bc
Old February 10, 2013, 03:36 PM   #30
Edward429451

Quote:
I don't know of any issues with Lee's customer service. At least I haven't had any. Don't forget that the great customer service you get with RCBS and Dillon is paid for in the price up front.
I've heard about Lees iffy warranty several times, and read a thread (On CastBoolitforums IIRC) where Richard Lee himself joined in the discussion about Lee equipment where someone was complaining about being turned down on a warranty issue with their Lee equipment, and basically showed his ass. He was rude and argumentative and didn't want to honor the mans warranty issue. I don't think he ever did. I've no irons in the fire with Lee and no reason to lie. They make a couple things I use but nothing big. I use one of their FCDs (with the carbide ring removed) and their dippers.

You may pay a little more for RCBS stuff, but if they have no BS warranty and no added frustration from down time, then it's worth it in my book.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:38 PM   #31
BIGR

Quote:
You can't go wrong with RCBS. I am using the same Rockchucker I have owned for over 30 years.
What he said except, 25 years for me. Most all of my reloading equipment except for a Lyman Case Trimmer is RCBS.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:27 PM   #32
cheezhed

My first press was a Rockchucker and I still have it and use it, I also have purchased a lee classic cast and a lee classic turret. I find the classic cast single stage equal to the rockchucker but I find that I use the turret press the most. The higher cost of the rockchucker is negligible if spread over the years that you will own the press but if I could only have one press I would likely go with the turret press.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:34 PM   #33
Sport45

The no BS warranty is like buying an extended service plan on a vehicle. Except RCBS is forcing you to buy it instead of making it an option.

If I could buy the RCBS press for half the price with a warranty similar to Lee's I'd buy one without hesitation.

IMHO, nothing breaks often enough on any press to justify paying extra for extended warranties.
Old February 11, 2013, 01:12 AM   #34
TXGunNut

Green Rule

RCBS is the standard by which I judge all other makes of reloading equipment. My reloading tools are lifetime investments so a few dollars more isn't really an issue. Sometimes Lee makes a more innovative tool and I certainly like Richard Lee's pricing strategy. Lee also has a wealth of reloading and casting knowledge and even tho I don't always agree with him I always want to read what he has to say on the subject. Some days I prefer Redding dies over RCBS but it's often just a matter of a few dollars more for the better-finished Redding dies.
Bottom line; you can't go wrong buying RCBS, IMHO.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:27 AM   #35
Edward429451

Quote:
RCBS is the standard by which I judge all other makes of reloading equipment. My reloading tools are lifetime investments so a few dollars more isn't really an issue. Sometimes Lee makes a more innovative tool and I certainly like Richard Lee's pricing strategy. Lee also has a wealth of reloading and casting knowledge and even tho I don't always agree with him I always want to read what he has to say on the subject. Some days I prefer Redding dies over RCBS but it's often just a matter of a few dollars more for the better-finished Redding dies.
Bottom line; you can't go wrong buying RCBS, IMHO.
Well said and very true.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:59 AM   #36
Vance

Quote:
Sport45 The no BS warranty is like buying an extended service plan on a vehicle. Except RCBS is forcing you to buy it instead of making it an option.

If I could buy the RCBS press for half the price with a warranty similar to Lee's I'd buy one without hesitation.

IMHO, nothing breaks often enough on any press to justify paying extra for extended warranties.
Lee Classic Cast $93.99.

RCBS Rock Chucker $139.95.

Lee is hardly half price. A $46 difference, but not half.

Lee = A questionable supposed to be 2 year warranty that is only good to the original purchaser.

RCBS = A guaranteed lifetime no BS warranty that follows the equipment. RCBS will honor that lifetime warranty even if your the third person to own the equipment.

Dillon's warranty is the same as RCBS's.

Last edited by Vance; February 11, 2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:23 AM   #37
AllenJ

Quote:
what are your opinions on rcbs equipment?
I have a very high opinion of them, been using my Rockchucker for around 35 years now.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:08 PM   #38
hdbiker

RCBS

I e-mailed RCBS because after 45 years of use my plastic Rock Chucker spent primer catcher broke.They sent me a new one,NO CHARGE !!!.great equptment,great customer service.hdbiker
Old February 11, 2013, 05:25 PM   #39
hooligan1

I use a lot of RCBS equipment, and have the utmost confidence in the products and Customer service of this company. It's really a "no hassle" kind of company, no foolin.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:38 AM   #40
WaywardSon

Using a combination of stupidity and brute force I was successful in completely destroying the decapping stem/expander ball assembly on a 30 yr. old set of BCBS dies I called RCBS and told the nice lady what I needed & explained that I had caused the problem and felt that I should pay for the replacement parts. She took my name & address but politely refused any payment. My parts were in the mailbox in a few days.

My experience is that you will rarely have any real problems with RCBS equipment...and if you do all it takes is a phone call to fix it.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:54 AM   #41
rajbcpa

I have a rockchucker.

If you are loading handgun rounds, DONT buy a SS press. ...just a waste of time. Buy a turret or progrerssive instead.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:37 PM   #42
Jerry45

jdscholer, I have the identical press in green, RCBS Jr. I bout it in a kit, press, scale, funnel and I don't remember what else 40 years ago. Have loaded everything from .38 to 30-06. Lots of 30-06, .308 and .223. It's still going strong. I've always wanted a Rock Chucker but the little Jr. just keeps on keeping on. The lease expensive press they make and it has lasted 40 years and shows no sign of stooping. I'd say that's quality. Oh yah, I squirt a little oil on ram every now and then.

The majority of my dies are RCBS. Have never had to call for service but I hear it's exceptional. Maybe some day I'll need it.

Last edited by Jerry45; February 13, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:53 PM   #43
flashhole

The OP never got back to this thread. His moniker - bluewaterlover - leads me to believe he plays in the toilet.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 13, 2013, 07:21 PM   #44
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashhole
The OP never got back to this thread. His moniker - bluewaterlover - leads me to believe he plays in the toilet.
Or a plumber specializing in commercial aircraft.

But the more likely (and kinder) interpretation is that he likes sailing in the open ocean (blue water).

But I agree, I would like to hear his opinion of the feedback this thread generated.

Lost Sheep