The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Dewalt280

204 chamber out of specs? Need Help

Ok, I need the help of someone with way more knowledge than myself. I have a new Remington 700 in 204 Ruger and I have been doing the basic measurements to start working a handload up. I am using a Hornaday lock-n-load OAL gauge. to obtain the exact COAL for my specific gun. The problem is that once the measurement is taken, the bullet would have to be seated so far out that it wouldn't even seat in the case mouth, even reducing the measurement by .03 won't give enough seating depth to be used. Using a comparator the measurement is 2.219" (While it should make no difference,due this is with a Nosler 40 gr ballastic tip). At this point the best I could do is seat at the longest depth the magazine would allow. Is this normal for the .204 since it uses such a short bullet or should I be concerned that Remington cut too much freebore into my barrel?
Old May 22, 2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Horseman

I had the same problem with my Cooper in 204. My problem was the hornady overall length gauge. The 204 case I was using wasn't sized properly. I was getting a false reading because the case was too big in the web(just above the bottom of the case) and it was bottoming out instead of the shoulder touching the way it should. It was giving surprisingly consistent measurements like this, but they were around .4" too long. I had a 22-250 case that was the same way. I called Hornady and they mailed me replacements for free. Trying to chamber the case and then measure again.

In my opinion this tool sometimes makes a job more difficult and I try not to use it unless other methods fail.

When I called Cooper to complain about having a long throat(before I knew the problem was the OAL gauge) they told me 204's have longer throats than most because of the extreme pressure and velocity.

I believe your problem is that the case is not going all the way into the chamber even though it feels like it bottoms out. This happened to me on both cartridges I tried with the OAL gauge. I think they don't size them properly because they want the case mouth loose so you can slide the bullet through easily for measuring.
Old May 23, 2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Ifishsum

I have loaded for 3 different .204s (Two Savages and one Handi-rifle) and they all have long freebore. I can barely reach the lands but the bullet is not far enough into the neck. The good news is that all 3 still shoot very well anyway. The Savages both turn in close to 1/2 inch groups @100 with the OAL just under magazine length, factory ammo is substantially shorter but it still shoots almost as well.