The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 13, 2007, 01:59 PM   #26
Duxman

I shoot IPSC with some of the clerks at the local gunstore that I purchase firearms from. They are very good shooters.

The clerks as well as the owner all open carry in this shop too.

I would venture to say, there would have been some draws and "get on the floor" if this had happened here.

They did get robbed about 2 years ago: Someone drove a truck through the front glass and started stealing guns from the middle of the night. Dont know if they caught this guy.
Old June 13, 2007, 03:22 PM   #27
ZeSpectre

Not too long ago I was at my favorite pawn shop (the guy there lets me know when something nice comes in) and in come a trio of gangsta-punk types. Serious attitude and RUDE right from the get-go. So after the second time he has to tell them that he's only going to bring one firearm out of the cabinet at a time they start in with "Yo 'ol man you gotta problem? We could make a problem y'know."

He looks the mouthy one in the eye and says "you know what, I'm not going to do any g@#d@m#$d business with you so you need to leave, now".

Ummmm...okay.

So I move off to the archway on the side (honestly I was clearing out of any potential field of fire) only to discover that there's already two of the other shop guys there waiting (fortunately they know me well so they just give me a nod) and we've ALL got our hands in our pockets.

At this point I just want to get out of there but before I can move the mouthy one spews out a few more cuss words and tells his buddies that he's leaving. He spins around to head out the door and sees all of us standing there and you can see the situation click together in his head and suddenly he's really polite with "'scuse me, I'd like to leave now" as he goes past us.

The owner is standing at the door and says "gentlemen, do you see that" pointing behind them. They all turn and look...right into the video cameras. The owner then says "Thanks, now we have good video footage of you. You are not welcome in this store any more so please do not come back".

Punks leave and we all kinda heave a sigh of relief then the girl behind the counter pipes in with "Hey boss, 911 wants to know if they still need to come"? Okay it's not that funny to repeat but we had quite a laugh over it at the time (tension release I guess).

In the end, just some mouthy punk kids, but NOT a fun situation to be in for sure!
Old June 13, 2007, 03:39 PM   #28
FirstFreedom

Quote:
"I really like this here piece... what if I was to just pull out a piece, and point it at you and take this one?"
That alone, while supremely stupid, is a hypothetical question, and not enough in itself to justify a deadly force response. The appropriate response is simple enough - answer his question: "If you did, you'd be dead. Now, for asking such an idiotic question, kindly get the hell out of my store." In addition, going on high alert is an appropriate response. Not brandishing.
Old June 13, 2007, 10:03 PM   #29
Archie

Were I in the store as a potential customer, I'd have one hand on my sidearm and the other on my cell phone pushing the 911 pre-set.

Then in a loud, clear voice tell 911 I'm at XYZ Gun Store at Such and Such and need a police officer and an ambulance to deal with a multiple gunshot victim.

Trip 20
Quote:
Of course this all could change if I were actually there... and not talking out of my ass on the internet.
Excellent point. A most excellent point.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old June 13, 2007, 10:14 PM   #30
rantingredneck

At the shop/range where I typically shoot they had an incident a while back where they overheard three guys outside laying out their plan for a hard entry robbery attempt. Good thing they have video/audio monitoring of the outside of the shop and the door is buzzer-locked. As soon as the guys walked near the door they were on candid camera.

The owner, his son and the other employee were already carrying sidearms and wearing vests (their standard practice). When they overheard these guys they shotgunned up quickly and then informed the dimwits outside via the speaker that they were being overheard and video/audio taped and 911 had been called. They burned rubber out of there quicklike.
Old June 15, 2007, 12:47 AM   #31
jfrey123

Gun shop owners, please correct me if I'm wrong.

In this senario, if a punk on the customer side of the counter becomes a threat, then anyone on that customer's side of the counter could be a potential accomplice. I would hate to draw my peace to "help" and end up being on the recieving end of 3 trained, open carrying clerks. These guys probably take their slow moments to somewhat train for this exact type of senario. If you aren't one of them, in all the yelling and confusion, they're very likely to see you as another guy with a gun out and ready to fire.

In every state I can think of, the punk here committed a gross misdemeanor if not a felony. A threat involving a firearm is just as good as pointing a firearm at someone.
Old June 18, 2007, 07:27 AM   #32
gotm4

Quote:
I shoot IPSC with some of the clerks at the local gunstore that I purchase firearms from. They are very good shooters.

The clerks as well as the owner all open carry in this shop too.
Hey, I know these guys.

I has some punk ask me something similar to that once at work. I said in a matter of fact voice "you'll hear a loud pop, see a flash and then some white light, you might even see some of your deceased relatives". He then said "oh, I was just joking". I said "I'm not!"

Robb
Old June 18, 2007, 08:03 AM   #33
stephen426

Unfortunately, First Freedom is right in saying:

Quote:
That alone, while supremely stupid, is a hypothetical question, and not enough in itself to justify a deadly force response.
If I was there (instead of at my cyber commando station ), I would have watched real carefully what happened next. If the punk made a move like he was going for a gun, I would draw down on him and hold him for the police. Of course that is assuming he complies... otherwise, he is getting one in the melon.

The problem is the ranges I go to prohibit loaded firearms unless you are actually on the firing line. They also prohibit holstered weapons and require all actions to be open and locked back (or cylinders open). Even though I comply with their rules, I keep a loaded mag in my back pocket. As soon as I step out the door, I load up. The range is in a quiet industrial area in a so so part of town.

I think that its really stupid to have a gun shop where the employees are not carrying. The clerk could not respond in such a forceful manner since she was not carrying. I really hope they change their policy after that stupid incident.
Old June 18, 2007, 01:47 PM   #34
markj

Every gun shop I been too they was all loaded down with at least one hand gun. Went and picked up a .45 SA last week, tried a shop out in a small town close to me, went in saw the prices and got a .44mag too going back for a nice little .44special for ccw priced way under what it should be.

I noticed they were looking over a new batch of used guns from an auction or something, I will have to go up and check them out this week.
Old June 18, 2007, 11:30 PM   #35
jrothWA

Let's give some room layout her...

DnD's gun room is a long narrow room in back of an old Mom&Pop grocery store.
The main outside entrance is from the parking lot into the length of the room, ( about 10 x 18) you travel down the length to exit into the building, but you have two small interior rooms, which you turn left, then right to get in the main room (down three / four steps).
You now have 18 feet to traverse to the front, then make a left turn to get to front door.
There is a stairway immediate to main entrance right, but door at top is close (dead end).
Not a comfortable area to be in and only knowledge from clerks was cost.