The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 5, 2014, 04:16 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Will Cooper of Montana sell me...

a barreled action only?

I've decided I really have the bug to build this ultimate super-light rifle in .260 rem, but I have a special, unusual custom stock in mind (which I think that MPI may make for me). I really like Cooper stuff; heard such good things.

Can you give me a good short list of high-quality makers that will sell just a rifled action in a lightweight config? I hate paying for a stock that will be thrown away or given away or sold for $30 on gunbroker.

I want a 20" #1 bbl of the highest quality, with a good short action, fairly light, cerakoted in FDE, with a fluted bolt, for under $2K. The action/safety style I prefer is Win 70 (post 64 push feed), but Rem 700 or Wby Mk V or "other" is OK, too, as long as it's on the light side.

I don't need any non-standard twist as I'll be running 120s-129s through it.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; July 5, 2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old July 5, 2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Mosin-Marauder

I have a .260 Remington 700 I don't shoot anymore. I'm not sure however where you can get just a barreled action.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 5, 2014, 05:36 PM   #3
zoomie

Getting a custom barreled action built is easy, for a price. You could even send your stock to any custom gunsmith and have them bed the action into your stock.

Stiller Predator Repeater Action - 27 oz
#0 or $1 Krieger - 2 - 2.5 lbs

You could try a Proof carbon-wrapped barrel to save a few ounces, too, if you want to be a guinea pig.

As for gunsmiths, you'll have to research that one. Maybe start here and do your own homework:

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers...gunsmiths.html

Last edited by zoomie; July 5, 2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old July 5, 2014, 05:54 PM   #4
jmr40

If the stock is of any quality you'll get a lot more than $30. McMillans turn up for sale quite often and bring $350-$500. I have 3, all bought used in those price ranges. I'd imagine a Cooper stock should bring more than $30.

If you want light, you want Remington or Savage. Weatherby is the heaviest made with Winchester and Ruger middle of the road. NULA is the lightest, but sell for $3000 or so. Kimbers are only 1-2 oz heavier, but sell for 1/3 that.

Personally, I'd buy a Kimber, live with the stock and save $800 or so off your budget. You can have a rifle weighing under 6 lbs scoped, SS metal, a high quality synthetic stock, and the Winchester style safety. You can buy a really nice scope and still be well under your $2000 budget.

If you must have a custom, shop around in pawn shops for the cheapest short action 700 you can find. Toss everything but the action and let your gunsmith go to work.
Old July 5, 2014, 09:48 PM   #5
Unlicensed Dremel

That's very helpful; thank you. I'll look into that Kimber option for sure.

What I mean is, if I sell a BrownRemChester plastic stock that *should* fetch $75-$100, I might get $30-$40. So, it will pain me to no end to take a Cooper stock which *should* fetch $250-$400, and have to settle for $100-$150, because I'm not re-newing a GB auction 50 times to do that. You know what I mean - you'll never get what you *should* because no one's gonna want that exact stock at the moment I go to sell it, and having to sell one just creates one more (irritating) to-do on the list which I don't need.

So what's the cheapest Kimber 84M (the closest I can get to a throwaway stock) - the Adirondack or the Mountain Ascent? Also, slight problem: Kimber doesn't have .260 chambering. You face the same thing selling the barrel - not getting what you should unless you leave it up for sale for months. So that's not gonna work.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84m
I can't believe Kimber has .257 Roberts but not .260 Rem.

I think Cooper (or full custom) is the way to go. I'm sure they'll sell just the rifled action. And there's a certain brag/pride factor to me in having a Cooper. How heavy/light are their actions, in the grand scheme of things?

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; July 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old July 5, 2014, 10:19 PM   #6
reynolds357

The gun dealer I deal with is one of Kimbers largest dealers in the U.S. I asked him last week about a Kimber rifle and he said "don't bother ordering one. It's pointless." He said he can log into the computer and see what Kimber has available, which is always only stuff no one wants. He said he can get that stuff in a couple of days, but he is still waiting on custom ordered rifles he placed the order for over a year ago. He said he is so mad at Kimber that he would quit selling them if it were not for their pistols. He said "I am not ordering a rifle for you because you are a good customer and I don't want you ****** off at me because of Kimber."
Old July 5, 2014, 10:27 PM   #7
taylorce1

Kimber made the Montana in .260 so there are a few to be had out there. They'll probably do a run on the .260 again in the future. You can buy a Kimber Montana in a .308 or .243 and rebarrel in .260 cheaper than buying a Cooper. If you truly want a light rifle talk to Melvin Forbes as suggested and have him build you a NULA.
Old July 5, 2014, 10:37 PM   #8
jmr40

I wouldn't build a custom on a Kimber, just too expensive and not many aftermarket parts. Didn't know they didn't offer 260 either. That is one of those best left as is. I might consider re-barreling, but probably wouldn't re-stock. You can sometimes find used ones for around $800 or so. A 260 barrel could be put on and keep you under $2000. Not even sure anyone makes an aftermarket stock for them. I have the 84M in 308 and like it a lot. Mine comes in at 5 lbs, 15 oz as it sets.

Can't really help with Cooper, no experience and their website isn't very helpful. I do know if you want super light NULA is the lightest production rifle with Kimber being next.

http://www.newultralight.com/

Most folks who go the custom route choose Remington 700 for a lightweight. The model 7 is a little lighter, but has fewer options for stocks and other aftermarket stuff. Lots of things gunsmiths can do with them.

It sounds like you have made up your mind on a Cooper. Should be a good gun, just don't know enough about them.

I think you'll need more than $2K for a custom with those specs or a Cooper. While not perfect, the Kimber out of the box is the cheapest way into a sub 6 lb rifle.
Old July 6, 2014, 09:50 AM   #9
Jim243

Savage Light Weight Hunter Model 11, 20" barrel, 260 Remington, 5.5 Lbs, fluted bolt, accutrigger, 1:8 Twist, MSR $962.00.

Just slap a Boyd's stock and some glass on it and you are ready to go.

Jim

Now that I think about it, I'm going to get me one of these.

Last edited by Jim243; July 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old July 6, 2014, 10:24 AM   #10
globemaster3

@ Dremel... I read an article about a year ago regarding Kimber rifles. The president of Kimber mentioned the .257 Roberts as their most requested caliber for their rifles, at that time.

I know it doesn't help your quest for a .260, but it does explain the why.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old July 6, 2014, 10:38 AM   #11
reynolds357

I have the above Savage Light Weight Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. Out of the box, it was not impressive. I bedded the rifle (glass and reworking of pillars) and it shoots 1/2" at 100. I would have no reason to believe the .260 would not do the same thing. The rifle is so light that the 6.5 Creedmoor kicks about like my mod70 .264 Win mag. I would not want the rifle to be any lighter than it is. I have Talley Aluminum integral base/rings and a fairly heavy scope on the rifle. With a change in scope, it could be lightened up a good bit. I paid $500 for mine out the door. Its a good rifle, but its not worth anywhere close to Savage's MSRP.
Old July 6, 2014, 06:06 PM   #12
Unlicensed Dremel

That Savage is close but no cigar - Homey don't play detachable mags. Plus, I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of a Savage. And this build needs to have some brag factor. Very helpful replies, all.

jmr40, that 84M in .308 looks like a strong build; pretty - wouldn't mind it in my chambering of choice.
Old July 6, 2014, 08:44 PM   #13
reynolds357

If you want some brag factor, then a Bat repeater or Templar would be your most braggable action. A Shilen barrel would finish the project off nicely.
Old July 7, 2014, 12:29 AM   #14
Ridgerunner665

I'm not a fan of ultra light rifles myself, more of a 9 pound heavy hitter guy.

But if I was in the market for an ultra light, I believe I'd just order one from NULA and be done with it...
Old July 7, 2014, 07:54 AM   #15
Unlicensed Dremel

Well, ok, that's the third NULA mention..... I will check it out. In the back of my mind, that price range was off the charts, but maybe not.

What's the action footprint of the NULA mountain rifle, since that's the key issue here (different stock)? Ideally, needs to be something common, like Rem or Win.
Old July 7, 2014, 09:36 AM   #16
jj320

Shilan also makes barreled actions also bullberry
Old July 7, 2014, 10:27 AM   #17
Unlicensed Dremel

Is Shilen's DGR action a Rem 700 footprint? That sounds like a good option but I've got this stock issue to contend with. Glad you told me that because their site only shows complete rifles and lone actions, not bbl'ed actions.

I'll check out Bulberrty too - thanks.
Old July 7, 2014, 11:12 AM   #18
jj320

on shilans web site got to rifle section it advises action is close to 700 and will accept some aftermarket parts for 700 . go to bottom of page and it lists barreled action
Old July 7, 2014, 08:33 PM   #19
reynolds357

U.D. The best lightweight rifles I have built have been on Winchester Mod 70 Actions. The things are un-real strong. IMHO, the 700 is junk in comparison to them. (I like 700's but they are not ultra accurate unless you tube them) Win 70 is lightweight. Everyone makes a stock for them. The last one I got was at the Pawnshop for $250. I put a $600 barrel on it. I guarantee it will shoot with anyones $3k custom in its same weight range.
Old July 8, 2014, 07:18 AM   #20
Longshot4

I just gave my S on my Wby. Vangard in 308. 22"barrel OUCH. Very well balanced light weight shooter. I don't think you can beat it. Good luck
Old July 8, 2014, 07:51 AM   #21
Unlicensed Dremel

Man, you guys are alllll right - I don't care what the other boards say about you.

I do loves me some Win 70s (better than Rem, also, like you) ....no .260, but always that custom route.

I thought that Howa/Vanguard were touted as being on the heavy side of actions? Although very good.