The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 1, 2006, 01:14 AM   #26
K Hall

I would agree with going and talking to the owner of the nuisance dog. If you do it politely and they are (hopefully) responsible dog owners, then they are going to want to know. The fence could be faulty, the dog could be sadistic, or the battery in the collar transmitter could be dead.. lots of variables and a good idea to get to the bottom of it.
I also agree with your response to the situation. I watched a pair of Labs rip a cat in half literally by playing tug of war with it. They were oblivious to my yells and by the time I found something effective to get them away with, it was far too late for the poor puss. Stereotyping a breed will only lead to heartache- much better safe than sorry. Thankfully there were no injuries and hopefully you wont have to deal with something like this again!
Old May 1, 2006, 09:51 AM   #27
springmom

you did well

A little old lady's poodle attacking me is not a scenario that keeps me up at night But you did well

Re: electric fences...they are a deterrent, but a determined (or stupid) dog with a tolerance for the zap they give can shoot right through it. After all, once the dog is through, the zap goes away just like if the dog backs up and gets AWAY from the electric fence. Once they figure that out, the fence loses its effectiveness. This is why God invented chain link and privacy fencing. Talk to your neighbor so he/she knows that the dog's behavior is not being completely controlled by the electric fence.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun