The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 25, 2008, 11:07 PM   #1
TheBonz

Leupold Custom Shop - VX I vs VX II (2-7x33mm)

For starters, the gun: CZ 550 full stock chambered in 7x57 (7mm Mauser). Also, already have a set of Talley lever quick release rings. I am looking to set this gun up somewhat similar to a 1930's German game warden's Mauser that I had the privilege to see while in school in Rapid City. It had a tip-off Zeiss scope with the German #1 reticle. It was a beauty to look at and to handle, but when one is attending college, a $3k rifle is a bit out of reach.

My dilemma: the only place I have been able to locate a smaller scope (2-7 x 33mm) with the option of a German #1 reticle is through the Leupold Custom shop, but I have the option of a VX-I for roughly $250 or a VX-II for closer to $500. I'm really not sure if I need the more expensive scope for a smaller, limited power setup like I'm going for, so thats why I'm here, and looking for some opinions and experiences with Leupold's custom shop.

Thanks
Old July 26, 2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Bond007

Leupolds are excellent quality scopes and you get what you pay for. I own several of their scopes from different product lines and they are worth the upgrade.

That said, they're only worth the money if you've got it to spend. As a college student, I think you'd be extremely happy with the VX-I and save some money for some ammo and books. While the upgrades are worth what they're charging, even the lowest level Leupolds are excellent quality. The VX-I is very bright, extremely durable and Leupold stands behind it with their lifetime guarantee as if you spend a thousand or more.

Nice to see you striving for an authentic setup too, any chance you're a history major?

Either way I think you'll be happy, but don't feel that you'll be short-changed or disappointed with the more inexpensive model.
Old July 26, 2008, 11:14 AM   #3
fisherman66

$500 is very steep for a VX-II (retailing 'round $300 without a custom reticle last time I did a price check.)

The advantage of the VX-II is the eye relief. Almost 5" at low power. I'm not sure why the VX-I has a shorter eyebox. I've come across a few German #1s and #4s for sale used, priced inline with non-custom Leupold II scopes.
Old July 26, 2008, 11:19 AM   #4
fisherman66

For a closer to period correct appearance you might look at the El Paso Weavers with the post and crosswire reticle. Your twilight image will suffer if you hunt, but you haven't stated the intended use. It would work just fine at the bench.