The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 30, 2008, 10:15 PM   #1
torque_to_spec

S&w M&p-15

I am a plinker. My local range has a pit for hi-power rifles. I shoot bulk ammo 9mm, 7.62x39, and .22. A few duds with the .22, other than that no problems. I have shot thousands of rounds. All have 30 rnd clips.

I have shot a lot of other peoples guns at the range and wanted to get a .223 rifle. So for XMas my wife bought me a S&W M&P 15. I was stoked. I bought 1000 rnds of bulk ammo, steel case. It jams and won't shoot any of it. well i found in the manual it says steel case is no good and will jam. ok my bad. i bought 1000 rnds of brass M-193? military grade. it won't shoot any of it, it jams. so i bought a $17.00 box of 20, rem 223. didn't even fill the clip. that was the fastest 17 bucks i ever shot. pop pop pop like butter.

i think the bulk ammo doesn't have enough punch to drive the action back far enough to load the next shell.

i can pull back and manually load a round. it fires, ejects the spent round, and the next one in line will not load. always the same. bullet laying in there, scars on it's side. pointed at the barrel but can't get there. manually i can cock it and load n eject a 30 rnd clip ok.

to me this gun is useless. i want to dump rounds and have fun and this ain't it. i have a $1,400.00 gun and really need a $500.00 one.

HAS ONYONE MODIFIED THIS GUN TO SHOOT ANY AMMO? CAN I GET A WEAKER SPRING SO IT WILL LOAD AMMO THAT ISN'T CURRENTLY LOADING? ANYONE WANT A GUN AT A GOOD PRICE?
Old August 1, 2008, 07:22 AM   #2
mes228

M&P

Yes I want your rifle, if the price is right. I've been wanting to try a .223, I have 7.62x39 AK style rifle presently. E-mail me at [email protected] with your lowest price and I'll get back with you. There is info I need to know though. If you've done any gunsmithing or alterations tell me (I don't want one that has been dicked with - I'll mess it up my self (Grin). Does it have the flip up rear sight? Is it a flat top? Carry Handle? How many rounds do have you shot throuugh it and how old is it. Some of the early ones had problems. If a deal is reached I'll FedEx the cash (postal money order) immediatly. You'll have it in 24 hours.
Old August 1, 2008, 08:07 PM   #3
kamerer

I think what you have demonstrated is not that the rifle is bad, but that you have bought bad ammo. When you bought commercially loaded ammo, it worked flawlessly, you said. You said you used "military grade" ammo on the second run. Did that mean (foreign) mil-surp, or reloaded military brass?

If you are buying reloads, you need to test them first - a few for function, not buying 1000 at a time. Most reloads are not within commercial specs, in my experience.

The other thing is that S&W 15's are built to Nato 5.56 chamber specs, not the tighter SAAMI .233 ones. It is already looser than a "target" type AR clone in that regard. But if it is your gun, magazines, or something, you also have a lifetime warranty from S&W and they will take it back and correct it. But from what you've said, it sounds like you've just tried bad ammo.
Old October 22, 2008, 10:23 AM   #4
chanderson

I've had the exact same issue with my M&P 15. First bought the weapon about 9 months ago. Bought several different types of ammo (wolf, Rem, Fed). As I knew some of these rifles were picky with ammo I decided to test some ammo to see which ones fed well. Mine is chambered for 5.56. I found that I could not feed even two complete rounds of Wolf ammo. Every round jammed or did not eject and had to manually eject it. Tried Remington .223 and fed just fine, but sounded like there was not enough pressure when fired. The best ammo I have ran through the rifle so far is the Federal 5.56. I bought a 1000 rounds and fired them all in one day without one single jam or ejection problems. I have heard from others that say the S&W M&P15 are very particular about which ammo you feed through it. Well, anyways just figure you have a $1,300 gun, why skimp on the ammo.