The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2008, 08:01 AM   #1
Master Blaster

Home made mooning tool

Periodically the question about a moonclip reloading tool comes up here.

Here is mine which loads .357 mag 8 shot, .45 acp 6 shot S&W clips, and 5 shot .45 acp taurus stellar clips.

It costs less than $6 to make and all the parts come from the local hardware store.

Two lag screws size to fit through the hole in the middle of the clip, 1 piece of perforated bar stock, bronze bearing or a piece of brass tube the OD sized to fit in the moonclip hole with as little play as possible, a wood screw, and a nylon spacer for the handle, and a piece of scrap 2x4.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg moontool2.JPG (209.2 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg moontool.JPG (168.8 KB, 181 views)
Old May 6, 2008, 09:21 AM   #2
jmorris

I guess mooning is sort of reloading…here is a pic of my homemade mooner you can see a video of it here http://www.commencefiring.com/files/Videos/mooner.mpg

Old May 6, 2008, 09:52 AM   #3
CPTMurdoc30

WOW jmorris that was one slick set up you got there.

Masterblaster Love that art work. Is that a custom paint job?
Old May 6, 2008, 10:43 AM   #4
joneb

Is there a demooning tool ?
Old May 6, 2008, 12:00 PM   #5
jmorris

To demoon simply notch the end of an appropriately sized tube as shown below and twist the cases out of the moon clip. On my mooner I just notched the end of the feed tube so one tool does it all.

Old May 6, 2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Master Blaster

JMORRIS that looks interesting but I cant really see how it works or what parts you used to make it since the hand is in the way.

Could you post still photo without Mr. Hand, and tell us what parts and tools were required to make it??

Thanks
Old May 6, 2008, 01:54 PM   #7
jmorris

The carriage that slides back and forth has a “roof” on top to keep the next round in the tube from falling while mooning the previous. The feed tube is long enough to hold six rounds (you would just make it longer for 8). From the photo where I am holding it by the top of the tube you can see the handle, locator button and body are made from aluminum. A section of ¾ X 1/8 flat steel was formed in a U shape to make the carriage (in one of the photos you can see the milled slot that allows it to travel back and forth). To provide additional force I welded a section of tube on the bottom so a few more fingers could help out.

In the back you can just see the return spring.
Old May 6, 2008, 04:17 PM   #8
Master Blaster

pictures dont work

Are you making and selling your tool???

It looks pretty slick but requires some substantial tooling to make, milling slots and all. I put mine up because anyone can make it for under $6, and it does work as well or better than the plier types I see sold for $50 that need an extra part to load more than one type of clip.

And yes thats a custom paint marker job. My wife asked me what it was so hence the artwork which is not required.
Old May 6, 2008, 04:19 PM   #9
Creature

Genius. I wonder if it is patented yet...
Old May 6, 2008, 05:51 PM   #10
jmorris

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.ph...=mooner&page=3

The photos worked this morning… Is the thread on THR they are on the 2nd and 3rd page. It’s just a tool I built to speed up the process it cost nothing but time (but you do have to have the equipment and never throw anything away). At this time I’m not selling them but as always the ideas I post are free for non-commercial use.