The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 13, 2011, 11:15 PM   #1
misterE

Sweet sixteen

Hey guys, I just purchased a sweet 16 and have a few questions that I'm sure some of y'all on here can help me out with.
First off the date of manufacture. I can't make heads or tails out of brownings serial # chart, but on the bottom of the receiver there is a 5S over 44961. They guy I bought it off of said his uncle bought it new in '61 or '62 which sounds legit because it does have he round knob stock.
Also, it has a 24" vent rib barrel that is modified choke. Are these very rare? I've never seen one and I'm wondering if it adds much value to the gun.
I feel like I did pretty good on price. $850 and it came with 35 boxes of federal high brass #6 which look to be about 25 to 30 years old but are in great shape. Price tag on the shells said 2.95. Gun is in good shape. No cracks in either stock, instruction card still in fore stock, etching all real crisp. Does have some wear on the bluing on the barrel from use. What do you guys think? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old June 13, 2011, 11:52 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

No help on the gun but it sounds nice enuff!!!

At $5 per box, you got $175 in ammo!

So you could figure the gun portion of the purchase at $675

Brent
Old June 14, 2011, 07:01 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

Nice Find!!
A 5S prefix shows up to be made in 1965.

Around here 16 Ga. shells go for $7 - 8 a box at a discount store. At Gander Mt. and Bass Pro they are more $$$
Old June 14, 2011, 06:05 PM   #4
misterE

Thanks guys. 1965 huh. That works for me. Anyone have any experience with the 24" modified choke barrel?
Old June 14, 2011, 06:57 PM   #5
SauerGrapes

Quote:
Thanks guys. 1965 huh. That works for me. Anyone have any experience with the 24" modified choke barrel
?

Never saw a Sweet Sixteen with a barrel that short. Modified choke seems pretty tight for a gun with a 24" barrel. Barrel length has no bearing on shot pattern if that's what your wondering.
BTW, nice find! My grandfather had a Sweet Sixteen. Loved that 16ga.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old June 14, 2011, 07:07 PM   #6
misterE

Ok, just remeasured and it is exactly 25 inches from tip of barrel to the receiver. It shoots great. I was more wondering about the rarity of this configuration because I've never seen one. Of course there's a lot I havnt seen.