The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2009, 01:16 AM   #1
troy_mclure

powder and primers

i just found a shop that has some powder and primers at the pre obama prices.

what are good powders for .204 ruger, and 45/70?

what about primer size? im assuming small rifle on the 204, and magnum? rifle on the 45/70?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 23, 2009, 01:40 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Actually, because of the large bullet base area relative to the case diameter, the .45-70 does best with a relatively quick powder, like IMR 4198. It only needs a standard large rifle primer to light well, and the standard large rifle primers will generally give better accuracy with it. If you choose a ball powder for it, say, H322, then the magnum primer is a better choice for consistent ignition, since ball powders are harder to ignite.

I don't own a 204, but would suppose that small case would also like quicker powders like IMR 4198. It might be a good choice for both? QuickLOAD calculations suggest it would, though something a little slower might get you a little more velocity. IMR 3031 looks like it would do well in it and is another powder that could be used in both.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; January 23, 2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old January 23, 2009, 03:03 PM   #3
troy_mclure

cool, thanks!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 23, 2009, 05:11 PM   #4
7mm Magnum

Unclenick,... I see there is another "QUICKLOAD" person onboard here. Did you get the v3.4 update for your software?
Old January 23, 2009, 06:01 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. The powder and bullet databases had some new additions and there is updated powder data from newer sample measurements. It includes a fix of a minor bug a I found in the powder table results that Hartmut corrected and sent to me as V. 3.32, though I don't recall that version was ever released for sale? QuickLOAD is a really good program, but part of what makes it good is having more flexibility than most people know what to do with? With a little work, though, I've had it predict measured results very closely. Better than 10% on measured peak pressure, where the measurement was more prone to error than QuickLOAD, it turned out. Velocity within 11 fps out of 3,000 in .223. I just had to get fired case water capacity measurements for my chambers established and get their bore cross-sectional areas entered in to get that accuracy. I build a separate data file for each gun to keep that straight.

The only failure of it to predict well has been in some higher pressure chamberings in lever guns (.307 Win, specifically). This is likely due to the rear lockup of that gun allowing a good bit of receiver stretch that expanded the cases as the pressure peak neared. The guns in question could not close again on the fired case.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle