The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
bigroccrek

Hodgdon HS-6 with Berrys plated 180 FP 40 S&W

Hello All,

Newbie here with a question about reloading 40 S&W for a Glock 22. I am new to reloading and cannot find any data for Berry's plated 180 gr FP bullets. I have Hodgdon HS-6 powder and Winchester small pistol primers. The Powder container has load data for Hodgdon XTP at 6.9 gr but that seems awfully high to me based on reading data on the internet and in the Lee reloading manual. Any help on a good safe load with these bullets and powder with once fired brass would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Old September 2, 2012, 08:42 PM   #2
hAkron

Look for mid to low range jacked bullet data of the same weight and profile. Going above mid range will cause the plating and the lead core to seperate and your bullets will tumble and will be very inaccurate.
Old September 2, 2012, 08:42 PM   #3
PoiDog

A rule of thumb for plated bullets is to use midrange loads if no loads are available for your particular bullet. So, find a load using a similar profile bullet as the Berry you're using and use that data.

I don't think the XTP load is one to use, since the XTP is a jacketed hollow point. They look similar from the side, but act differently.

Many people use lead bullet data when loading plated bullets to be safe. If you go to Berry's site, they say not to exceed 1200 fps with their bullets.

If you have access to a Lyman's reloading manual, there will lots of loads in there for lead bullets of many types.

Check out Hodgdon's web site. They have all sorts of loads available there. The load you mention is a max load per that site. The lower load is 6.1 grains of HS-6 for a 180 grain XTP.
Old September 3, 2012, 05:25 PM   #4
bigroccrek

Thanks for the help. I believe I will use the advice and start around 6.0 or 6.1 with the 180 Berry's and HS-6 powder and see how it goes. Just ordered a Lee Bulge Buster and single stage press so I can size the brass just to be sure.
Old September 9, 2012, 09:25 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

fact

Use an OAL of 1.130" +/-.005".