The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 20, 1999, 09:20 PM   #1
Big Bunny

Harley - Does anyone know the letters and series of these fine Italian made shotguns? I have some queries on older U/O 12 GA ones, but due to our dealers being bought up and closed down by the Federal Government "in the UN inspired campaign to make us all safer and reduce the crime rate". So no-one is left locally who can tell me(4 have now closed, one more tetering on retirement).

I realise that these lighter guns might not be very popular in USA, but could you tell me what the difference between a '64E' and a 'S65EL' is ? I believe they were manufactured around 35 years ago and were high class engraved guns.(E=engraved, L=lux? therefore one model is of higher spec and should sell for more?)
An older italian man I spoke to said that they were very high priced when new. When asked how much he said "well, I think $35,000" !!

True values would be interesting too if someone has these available. The going local gunshop asking price of the more basic Beretta'64E' is AUD$1,600 [and I wasn't game to ask the price of the other !!]But he is very negotiable and I have a trade of a Bettinsoli 84E U/O 12GA.

Why are such fine guns going for 5% of their new price ? What is the catch and what should I look out for as regards classic Beretta faults other than action pivot pins loseness, Harley? I am attracted - I admit!

They handle like a dream, have inbuilt reaction to my every move(like the pointing of your finger in a good pistol)and are SOoo elegant and narrow across the action too....

Office is moving soon, so I will get back to TFL as soon as possible, with hope of a reply.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old December 21, 1999, 08:47 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Big BunnY:
I wish I could provide an ans. to your question. I cannot locate anything on the models you have presented and have no knowledge on the reasoning or pricing with these guns. Possibly Jim Keenen could provide us with his input.

HJN
Old December 21, 1999, 03:30 PM   #3
Big Bunny

Thanks for trying, good suggestion, I will try his website. Cheers!

------------------
***Big Bunny***