The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Wingbone

slugs/chokes

Gentleman,
Ive read that you should NEVER shoot a slug through a full choked barrel. The box of remington "slugger" ammo I have says they can be fired through ANY choke. I understand that an open choke is best, but is there a safety issue involved with a full choke? Or is it just an accuracy issue? And what about sabots? Geez, rifles seem so much easier .
Another question, rifled slugs DONT grab the barrel? I thought that was the whole idea behind them? Rifled slugs with rifled barrels? Rifled chokes? And again, what about sabots???? Or non rifled slugs??? I thought shotguns were more simple than rifles??????? Thanks to anyone who understands all this.
Ken
Old January 12, 2006, 08:31 PM   #2
mete

If sabots don't 'grab the rifling' how does the round spin for accuracy ? Of course it grabs. The 'rifling' on rifled slugs however do not really impart much spin.In any case - use sabot slugs in a rifled barrel, use sabot slug in a plain barrel with rifled choke, use 'rifled' slugs in a plain barrel [openchoke such as cylinder is usually more accurate] but test with different chokes to find the mose accurate.
Old January 12, 2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Wingbone

Thanks Mete,
What about the safety issue with slugs and a full choke?
Ken
Old January 12, 2006, 08:49 PM   #4
boltgun71

In my experience...

I use to shoot a 20 gauge single shot that had a full choke in it. I put everything from slugs to birdshot to buckshot through it with no problems. Killed several turkeys, squirrels, and a few deer with it. It wasn't as accurate as a modified choke shooting slugs or a designated slub barrel, but it worked fine enough for deer out to 75 yards or so. I do think it is an accuracy issue and it wheres on your guns choke alittle. My 20 gauge was a beater and not a skeet gun so a little wear on the choke didn't bother me. Hope this helps.
Old January 12, 2006, 09:35 PM   #5
Ruger4570

There is no "safety issue" firing rifled (foster type) slugs through a full choke. It is just that there tends to be better accuracy with little or no choke.