The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2012, 06:24 PM   #1
L2R

my 'shield' fever broke

Been pre-occupied looking for a shield. I have wanted one really, really bad.

Suddenly,
The weather has changed
The election is very near
I still can't find one
The prices are too high though I would have bought one anyway.

I feel better now that my fever broke and my 9c is now easily concealed with a light jacket.
I can wait until they have plenty available and hopefully the price is better.

Don't get me wrong, wish I had one, envious of those who do but I am over it at least for a few months!
Old September 17, 2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Schnitzjr

The gun market does seem to defy logic, huh?
Supply & demand does drive the market but having desirable product remain unavailable does not drive up demand!
Case in point: I bought a Bersa BP 9c that is really fun to shoot, the same size as a Shield, reliable & available and was delivered for $350.
When the Shield does become available I no longer need one.
Old September 17, 2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Arkie45

I have a .40c with a 9mm barrel to go with it, and a 9mm Shield. I do love the Shield, but my 40c is my daily carry and my go-to 80% of the time. The more you shoot the M&P 9c, the better it gets. The Shield is a great shooter, especially for such a small gun. It points naturally, the trigger is superb, and it conceals a little better. I'm sure you would like it, but there's a good likelihood you would be like me and just stay with the 9c for daily carry. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old September 17, 2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Kevin_d77

I've been looking at the Shield and the Sig 238/938. Why do you prefer the 9c over the Shield? Isn't the 9 larger and thicker than the Shield?
Old September 17, 2012, 09:43 PM   #5
fieldcoordinator

I dunno.....I paid over retail to get one in 40, off an auction site. Even having to send it right back to S&W to fix a spontaneous mag drop issue didn't bother me given S&W's stellar customer service. <2 weeks later it was fixed and returned.
Everyone that shoots it thinks it's pretty sweet and wants one too. It's a real keeper.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Arkie45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_d77 View Post
I've been looking at the Shield and the Sig 238/938. Why do you prefer the 9c over the Shield? Isn't the 9 larger and thicker than the Shield?
It is just a matter of familiarity. I've put several thousand rounds through the c and only 6 or 700 through the Shield.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:08 AM   #7
zincwarrior

The Shield is thinner but IIRC its actually taller than the the 9c. A 938 is smaller, with excellent night sights. however the 938 has substantially less capacity. All three are stainless steel if memory serves.

9mm wise:
If you like 1911 style, the 938 may be just the thing for you.
If you like the more DA style and more capacity but still want a very thin pistol, the Shield is for you.
If you want a shot pistol with good capacity then the 9c is your bag.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:29 PM   #8
L2R

i agree

with zincwarrior.

I love my 9c. I shoot IDPA with it because I carry it. I have an XDm that I could maybe score better with but it isn't my daily carry.

So during the winter months, the 9c is my preference as I can conceal it with a jacket and I am comfortable too.

I can and do conceal during the summer months with the 9c but I have to dress like a slob and I am sure those who would be concerned be a LEO or a BG, the dress code is pretty common and easily guessed.

I would like something more concealable in the summer.

But come next April, I fear the fever will return and can only hope that the cure is under $400 and already in my safe.
Old September 18, 2012, 07:49 PM   #9
ritepath

I carried my 9c last night for the first time since spring....still want a p938 but for now it's nice just carrying what I already have.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Hillbilly66

I looked at the Shield. Handled it, thought about it, got feverish, and as I reached into my pocket my hand brushed my EDC...

I'm still carrying my M&P 40c... It just feels good. Comfortable, solid, accurate and trouble-free.

"A People that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both"
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old September 18, 2012, 09:51 PM   #11
jfrey

So far I've been able to find 3- 9mm Shields and haven't paid over MSRP for any of them. I just had to get on a list at 4 different gun stores and wait anywhere from 2 weeks to a month for each one, but they eventually showed up. Be patient, they are out there, you just have wait a little longer to find one.
Old September 18, 2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Deaf Smith

I pack a Glock. Packed it for many years. Glock 26, 27, and 33.

I don't need another CCW simi-auto.

Now it could have been the S&W M&P sub-compacts but I bought Glocks before the M&P was born. Does not matter. The Glocks work fine for me t-shirt, light jacket, winter jacket, etc...

Only in those super hot summer days here in Texas do I go back to a J .38.

The Shield is a fine gun, but I just don't have any use for one.

Deaf
Old September 18, 2012, 10:21 PM   #13
Ajtozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
So far I've been able to find 3- 9mm Shields and haven't paid over MSRP for any of them. I just had to get on a list at 4 different gun stores and wait anywhere from 2 weeks to a month for each one, but they eventually showed up. Be patient, they are out there, you just have wait a little longer to find one.
I have been waiting on three lists since May with no bites! If you have a lead o a 9mm Shield please let me know!!!!
Old September 19, 2012, 08:52 AM   #14
94bluerat

I picked up the Sheild last week. Not sure if I'll get to see it much, as my wife's first comment was "gee, I like this"

Maybe I'll look for an XDs instead...

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout
Old September 19, 2012, 04:28 PM   #15
brit3

I was really craving one but they weren't on the shelves yet. I picked up the Kahr CM9 for a pocket gun and couldn't be happier. Quite a few bucks saved too.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:04 PM   #16
jfrey

Ajtozzi,
Google Carter's Country in Houston,Texas. Call them and get on their list. I've seen more there than anywhere else. See if they will ship to your local FFL. They have 4 stores in town but I got mine at the store on the south side of town.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:22 AM   #17
ScotchMan

I carried my big double stack 9mm throughout the summer without issue. But I am very happy to be able to throw a jacket or hoodie on over it now! I pay it a lot less thought now and can focus on other more important things.

I found that my Walther PPS (almost identical in size to the Shield) concealed very slightly worse than my double stack (an HK P2000sk) due to the angles and shape. So the single-stacks aren't always as great as they seem. Your mileage probably will vary, but I suspect the 9c won't be much different than a Shield if you do get a chance to compare them.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old September 20, 2012, 02:17 PM   #18
wstein

I was lucky, I got my Shield when I went looking for something else. I was a local GS chain that has a rep for over charging, which they do, but if your smart and patient, they usually have some good sales where they are cheaper then most other places. This particular week they had a sale on the Shields that was better then anywhere else I had seen.

I got the next to last one and haven't seen anymore Shields at that store since.

I have taken it to the gun range 4 times and have put almost 700 rds through it and it runs great. It bumped my Kahr CW40 down from CCW #2 to truck gun #1

I don't have a good signature.....
Old September 20, 2012, 07:39 PM   #19
Joe_Pike

My "gun fever" broke. Of course, the "medicine" of "no money" certainly has been a decisive cure.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:46 PM   #20
ShipWreck

I love mine