The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2005, 10:15 PM   #1
farmall

243 benchrest?

one of the gun shops not far from me has an older rifle chambered in 243 br. it is built on an interarms action. anyone know anything about these? i cant find any reference to one in cartridges of the world. i thought it might make a good long range p-dog thumper, but was wondering if this round has any "dark secrets".
Old March 10, 2005, 08:35 AM   #2
Tom Matiska

I think the wildcat you are referring to became known as the 6MM BR:

Nosler #4 has two pages of 6 BR data for 55's (as fast as 37-3800) and 70's (as fast as 3400). Nothing above 70 listed. The article (as of 1996) says Norma makes 6 BR brass, or roll your own. Same .473 head common to many larger rounds.
Old March 10, 2005, 09:37 AM   #3
bikenjam

I guess the only thing that i would consider a "dark secret" about it is the price of brass. I was looking strongly at one for a while. some consider it the most accurate round ever made, then i saw how much the brass was. IF you plan on varmint hunting, i might consider a more affordable round. its close to 50 cents a peice