The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 11, 2001, 07:00 AM   #1
JimFox

My father has an older Browning Auto in 16 gage. Originally chambered for the 2 9/16s round, he's had it modified to accept the standard length round.

The serial number is 86XXX and the gun appears to be the standard grade (nothing fancy).

Can someone give me an estimate of the gun's age? And point me to a source for expanded illustrations (parts diagram).

Thanks for any help.
Old May 11, 2001, 07:56 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

JimFox:
I have sent the assem/disassem w/photo and the blow-up and parts list for the Browning by separate email. I don't have Brownings serial number listing. Can someone help him out?

HJN

Old May 11, 2001, 08:50 AM   #3
JimFox

Auto 5

Mr. Nolden - all files were received and were in good condition.

I really appreciate your time and effort.

I usually rely on my copy of "The NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly" (circa 1980) and was rather surprised that the Auto 5 was not included.

I don't know the source you used, but it was more complete than I would have expected from the NRA book.

Again - thank you.

It is my understanding that the "short shell" version of the 16 gage was discontinued at, or just prior to, WW II, so I'm assuming the gun is at least a little better than 60 years of age. It is also my understanding that there were some parts modifications made about that period, and that in the older guns some pieces may be "a little different".

Any suggestions/comments that anyone might have about the proper care and feeding of this gun would be appreciated.