The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 1, 2011, 01:20 PM   #1
mudge1

Starting a youth/camp air rifle range need anyone's advice

I am in the process starting an air rifle range for our girls summer camp. We already operate a 22 cal. range at our boys camp. This new air rifle range will be in close proximities to area neighbors. Because of the noise issue with a 22 cal. range we're opting for a air rifle range instead. Do any members have advice on "picking a strong reliable air rifle that would work well for our new range?". Obviously, I am looking for a solid air rifle that is reliable and will hold up on a 50' air rifle range. Need to stay on the affordable side and my purchase range is from $100 to $250 per air rifle. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by mudge1; March 1, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old March 1, 2011, 04:26 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

An air gun range is a great idea. I run a range at my club's open house. The biggest problem I ran into was constant changing CO2 cartridges. The remedy that I found was "Techforce 78T or 79T". This can run on paintball 9oz. tanks or ,by using a remote hose connection, 20 oz. tanks. This setup can shoot all day by just loading pellets.The guns are Chinese bolt action and are a bit rough. However, they are the only setup like this I have found. Crosman makes a better quality gun but you have to change cylinders. Check Pyramid Air or Comppassecco.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 1, 2011, 07:58 PM   #3
g.willikers

The Gamo line of piston spring powered rifles are good choices.
Not expensive, no air supply needed and very accurate.
Most sporting goods stores that carry air guns and paintball usually have them.
The recently imported Chinese - Crosman models are also decent choices.
I picked one up on sale for under $100 and so far it's been just fine.
Old March 6, 2011, 10:25 PM   #4
mudge1

air gun advice

g.willikers and 4everm-14,

thanks for your advice and both of you have soild options. I've considered C02 and compressed air types of air rifles. The more I read the more air piston seems to be the most functional. Plus, the break action to re-air each rifle resembles the bolt loading action to ready a .22 cal rifle. Our range at the boys camp is single shot bolt action. Most all that we use is Anschtuz riles great dependibility all round.

In looking at piston type air rifles the variety is vast and lots to choose from in the market. I wanted to buy a piston style air rifle with the attributes of an Anschtuz but price is prohibited.

thanks again for the follow up and i appreciate the input.

Mudge1
Old March 6, 2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Don H

mudge1,

Are the girls old enough to have the upper body strength to cock the air rifles?
Old March 6, 2011, 11:44 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Spring piston air rifles can be difficult to cock and can also have issues with hold sensitivity. I love spring piston airguns and most of my airguns fall into that category, but if I were equipping a youth camp with air rifles I would not choose spring piston airguns for that application.

The Daisy 953 single pump pneumatic is a good option for your application but you may want to have some CO2 rifles on hand for those who can't handle even the minimal cocking effort of the 953. Perhaps something like the Crosman 2260.
Old March 6, 2011, 11:54 PM   #7
Vt.birdhunter

Break barrel style rifles will be VERY difficult for anyone but a semi fit adult to use with any regularity.

Spring air rifles in general are notoriously difficult to shoot consistently due to one's grip on the rifle and the rifles natural vibrations during firing. They are very frustrating at first. To master them you tend to develop some very bad habits, particularity overly loose holds (much of the exp. gained doesn't translate well into field shooting). Im not a big fan of springers.

Look at the Benjamin 392 multi-pump, they are just over $100, well made.
A cheaper alternative that will group about as well is the Crossman 2100 multi-pump. Both rifles require 0 CO2, nearly 0 maintenance, and can be pumped all day by an 8 year old.

If your budget could swing it one day.....Im in love with my Airforce Talon SS.... shoots 1/2"-1" groups at 70 yards through an integral Shroud that is so quiet...its just sinister
Used they can go for just over $300.
Old March 7, 2011, 04:14 PM   #8
4EVERM-14

Quote:
Are the girls old enough to have the upper body strength to cock the air rifles?__________________
Don
This is precisely why I went with CO2. Many of the kids I have to deal with are small. They could handle using the bolt action and loading but would need help if they had to do much else. Loading is just like .22's. Plus it allows for the guns to remain on the rest. A real safety consideration.
Don't give up on your idea. Whatever you come up with will be a positive effort. Shooting is something that the girls will remember. It may not be something they may get to do otherwise. And it could be the highlight of the event.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 7, 2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Casimer

In that price range, you can look at the Benjamin pump air rifles as well. They're robust, offer variable velocity, and the stock length is good for kids. The pumping resistance on these increases with successive strokes, but is very easy for the first few, which may be ideal for a 50' range.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/sh...turer=Benjamin