The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 4, 2005, 11:22 AM   #26
kraven

I began my career in personal security during the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew in '92.
That was a mess. Looters were everywhere in Homestead and a bunch of people were killed afterward during the looting and tent city antics.
I'd already lived through Hurricane Hugo as a senior in High School in 89, so when Andrew hit I kinda knew what to expect.
Natural disaster stuff is really sticky, and if I had a family, I'd put them all on Dual purpose motorcycles, give them handguns with three magazines and send them out of the perimeter with water (camelbacks) and fuel. The Kawasaki KLR 650 gets about 50mpg and holds 6.1 gallons of fuel.
If I had to stay in the middle of it all, (which I wouldn't want to despite my awesome vinyl record collection I'd want to save.) I'd probably rely on the two weeks or so of canned food I keep all the time. When I say canned, I mean pickles, tomatoes, venison, squash, etc, in addition to canned soup and stuff. And, I have a water purifier in my ruck, so I'd be okay filtering water for up to 250 gallons. I also have a camp stove and 6 bottles of fuel at all times.
But weapons? Well, the shotgun is my first choice. Rem. 870 with xtended mag. Can't beat a scattergun for visual appeal. After all, looters are just looking for an easy mark. In addition to buckshot, birdshot, and rocksalt, I'd want (but don't have) flechette rounds just in case some wise guy in a tac vest tried to test my skills. But, of course, I have a bow for that...
Other than the scattergun, the .45 cal single action and a .357 sp101. Scattergun has a tac-sling and a bandolier to go with it. SP101 has speedloaders and would be a cinch for my S/O to use.
I'd toss my Ruger P345 to any would be assailants so I'd feel better about swapping lead with them. I'd only trust that PILE with my life if someone was pointing it at me.
Old September 4, 2005, 12:38 PM   #27
ottosear

Food - WATER ??? GUNS !

If we could stay at our home then this... any neighbors who are able to defend our properties would get a gun and 200 rds. of ammo. We would work as a team, share our resources. I have guns and ammo. LOTS of guns and ammo. Would share what i could spare... food water gas first aid. BUT if we had to move then i would take a REM. 870/12 ga. and give my wife a FIRESTAR .40 S&W with 5 loaded mags hidden on her for back up. After PRAYING !! guns I own ... 4 S.M.G.'s 1 sound suppessor 5 assault rifles 10 pistols. I hope to never have to find out :barf: Respectfuly OTTO
Old September 4, 2005, 12:46 PM   #28
Wildalaska

The only combo..

Jungle Carbine with a bandolier of 200 rouns across my chest and a Hig Power

WildallelsearetoysAlaska

Actually the Jungly is in my truck so its a given, would really grab my AR
Old September 4, 2005, 01:38 PM   #29
tshadow6

Shtf

When I got called into work for the 1st 12 hour shift during last yrs hurricane season, I made sure my shotgun and pistol was with me. People have to take storm warnings serious. The Big Easy was built 8 ft below sea level, and people didn't want to think about it. Not thinking about a problem won't make it go away. Everyone thought "It won't happen here." Well, it did, nobody prepared for it, now people are suffering. Here in FL, the first sign a hurricane is going to hit, the people get ready. the National Guard is called up, cops and firefighters go on 12 hour shifts, and citizens start evacuating.
Old September 4, 2005, 01:42 PM   #30
tshadow6

Shtf

I would evacuate on the first broadcast, get my family to saftey, let the looters kill each other.
Old September 4, 2005, 01:52 PM   #31
Rojoe67

retreat if need be.....

I too would go for high ground but with a few extras.

Concealed 9mm pistol
20 gauge - pump

If I were in a position that allowed extra beyond that....... An M-16 (AR15) would be third on my list...
Old September 4, 2005, 06:42 PM   #32
Drue

I live (or used to) in New Orleans. On the way out I brought my M1A, FAL, best AK and Anschutz 1710 plus a bag of pistols. The only two that I have significant ammo with me for are the AK and My Glock 23. My company is working on the 17th Street Canal breach and will start on the Twin Spans next week. I have to report to the BR office tomorrow and the Glock and AK will be with me. When I go to New Orleans, probably Wednesday, they will go to. I wish that I had my 20'' 870 but the Glock and AK will suffice.

Drue
Old September 4, 2005, 06:45 PM   #33
kymasabe

I'd holster my Taurus PT-111, I'd stick my Kel-Tec in my pocket or give it to my wife, and I'd cut the barrel down on my Savage from whatever it is to around 18 inches. I'd carry two or three boxes of buckshot and about 50 rounds of .380, 100 rounds or 9mm. Hopefully enough to get the job done yet light enough to allow me to carry all the other stuff I need to lug around.
Old September 4, 2005, 06:54 PM   #34
Aikibiker

If for some reason I hadn't evacuated I would let my situation and mission dictate my needs.

During the initial phase of the disaster while the lawless are running around stealing anything they can get their hands on I would be hunkered down in the house with the family and hopefully some of my well armed friends. If I had to go out during this I would carry my Saiga rifle in my hand with as many extra mags as I had, I would have to carry those in my pockets unfortunately as I don't have any pouches for them. My USP45c would be in a tactical thigh holster (if it ever gets delivered grrr darn Safariland) with as many loaded magazines as I had pouches for that I could put on my belt. I would wear my body armor as well. I would try not to venture out side the house without another armed companion, prefferably more then one.

If I had to evacuate the area after the disaster through the chaos I would have the same loadout as above plus my Camelbak Motherload with my bugout gear. If I have some of my friends with me as well as their loved ones family and less capable combatants would stay together myself and the other more capable combatant would stay in a protective formation around them. the group in the center would carry most of the load while the fighters would carry packs that didn't hinder their ability to move. Hopefully something that floats could be found to help pack supplies and anyone unable to walk.

Note: In this situation everyone is a combatant everyone will be armed.

Once order starts to take hold in the area my loadout will change. I will leave the long gun at home or in the vehicle. Depending on the mood of the area I may continue to carry my pistol openly or conceal it. Depends if the cops and NG are there to stay or just passing through while they rescue people and deal with emergencies.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old September 4, 2005, 06:56 PM   #35
MeekAndMild

I'd toss my Ruger P345 to any would be assailants so I'd feel better about swapping l

Quote:
I'd toss my Ruger P345 to any would be assailants so I'd feel better about swapping lead with them.

Eightball your .22 revolver sounds good to me. Remember your 4th grade arithmetic: .22 + .22 = .44

Of course the best thing to do if TSHTF is to get out of range of the fan before it happens.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old September 4, 2005, 07:05 PM   #36
stephen426

Drue,

Quote:
I live (or used to) in New Orleans. On the way out I brought my M1A, FAL, best AK and Anschutz 1710 plus a bag of pistols. The only two that I have significant ammo with me for are the AK and My Glock 23. My company is working on the 17th Street Canal breach and will start on the Twin Spans next week. I have to report to the BR office tomorrow and the Glock and AK will be with me. When I go to New Orleans, probably Wednesday, they will go to. I wish that I had my 20'' 870 but the Glock and AK will suffice.
Hey Drue,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you get lots of insurance money and can pick up where you left off soon. I'm not sure New Orleans will be home anytime soon though. Besides, after seeing the true colors of New Orleaners, I'm not sure anyone would want to live there. Take care when you go back down there and best of luck to you.
Old September 4, 2005, 07:47 PM   #37
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Well, since not a single poster here has listed Louisiana, much less New Orleans, as their location I can't see the purpose of this entire thread--unless of course, it's gratuitous chest thumping.

Much like other SHTF threads (zombies, werewolfs ad nauseam) this one's run its course.

Denny
Closed Thread