The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 19, 2015, 10:59 PM   #1
whitearrow

Tikka t3 ????

Hello fellas. I'm new to tikka's and bought a synthetic stocked lite in 260 rem. anywho on bringing the gun home I pulled the barreled action outta the stock to wipe it down with eezox so I won't have issues with rust maybe. When I went to assemble the rifle the action to stock fit was extremely tight. I never heard or felt the recoil lug pop into its recess but my 2 action screws lined up and it looks right. Is there anyway that I would know for sure that I have the recoil lug in its recess? Would the action screws have lined up if the recoil lug wasn't in the recess in the barrel?
Thanks,
Eddie
Old November 20, 2015, 05:44 AM   #2
NHSHOOTER

I dont know if there is anyway to really tell externally but if everything lined up I would think your ok. I have a t3 lite and have had it apart several times with no issues on it going back together.
Old November 20, 2015, 07:09 AM   #3
cptjack

If the screws lined up...........
Old November 20, 2015, 08:27 AM   #4
whitearrow

I guess the synthetic stocked tikka t3's are a way tighter action to stock fit than the walnut hunters. I've had one of those apart and it was easy on off of the action. I mean once the 2 action screws were out everything essentially would fall off/out if I didn't hold it in. But man this synthetic is super tight fit. Like s tight the first couple to three inches of the barrel close to the action aren't free floated whereas the wood hunter I could slide a doller bill all the way to the action.
Thanks,
Eddie
Old November 20, 2015, 12:23 PM   #5
turtlehead

If there's a certain way to do it I haven't figured it out yet. You just have to fuss with it until you get it right. Look at the barrel in relation to the stock to make sure it's in there straight and tight.

And yes, you can screw it back together and still have it wrong.

But it sure does shoot.
Old November 20, 2015, 04:34 PM   #6
jmr40

Unless the recoil lug fell out I don't see how it is possible. Take it apart and check.
Old November 20, 2015, 05:04 PM   #7
turtlehead

Nah. I'll just leave it how it is.

Old November 20, 2015, 07:11 PM   #8
whitearrow

even if you took it apart and checked you wouldn't know. after you take it apart its apart. the barreled action and recoil lug are separate. the lug stays in a recess in the stock.
eddie
Old November 20, 2015, 07:17 PM   #9
whitearrow

well fellas i must have it in right as i checked a new one at the lgs and made some mental notes like where things are physically on the rifle. when i got home i checked the mental notes that i had made on my gun and everything appears to be like the new one in the store. by the way i shot it today,along with my 257 wby, and i shot 2 round groups,i know shoulda been 3 minimum but barrel was heating up,and with 120 grain nosler bt and 130 grain nosler ab shot .63" groups. the 120 grain bt shot to 2" higher at 100 yds as they are traveling 3,000 fps where the 130 grain ab are traveling at 2,800 fps.
thanks,
eddie