The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 12, 2010, 06:59 PM   #1
mitchell koster

Opinions on a Scope.

Hi all.

I was looking on the net the other day and came across a optics brand called Barska (and more particularly the BARSKA 3-12x52 EURO-30) This particular scope has caught my attention.

http://www.barska.com/Euro-30_Rifle_...-30_SCOPE.html

How do you think it would go in low light situations?
How would it compare to the Red Field Revolution 3-9 by 50?

Its quite well priced and seem like there is fairly good quality in its make.

Would really like to hear some opinions (even if its just on the brand it self)

Thanks All.

Mitch
Old September 12, 2010, 09:03 PM   #2
taylorce1

Honestly I wouldn't trust a Barska on a serious hunting rifle. If you are going to hunt low light then spend the money and get a scope with good coatings. The coatings will help more with available light transmission more than a 30mm tube and 50+ mm objective IMO.
Old September 12, 2010, 09:21 PM   #3
mitchell koster

Thanks for the input mate.

MK
Old September 12, 2010, 11:58 PM   #4
Dr. Strangelove

Well, here we go again...

No offense meant to anyone living or dead, and all that, but posting this kind of question usually ends up with folks arguing over high priced vs. low priced optics. Both have their niches, and if you need a $2500.00 scope, by all means buy one.

Disclaimer - I've never used a Barska scope, so I have no input as to quality, etc.

I don't mean to pick a fight with the high dollar scope advocates, but I've never seen the need for one. I hunt in the woods here in the state of Georgia in the USA, and I just can't see spending $500.00 or $1000.00 more just to get a few more minutes of hunting light. Some do, and that's fine by me.

If I was heading off on a hunt of a lifetime, I might understand the spendy scopes, but I probably wouldn't buy one.

I've used mostly "cheap" scopes in my life, and they have done what I have asked of them. Buy the scope that fits your needs and your budget.

That's a long way of saying that the scope you referenced may not be the best, but it's probably not a bad choice.
Old September 13, 2010, 12:11 AM   #5
publius

I would definitely go with the Redfield. Barska is a low end scope, Redfield is a good scope made by Leupold.
Old September 13, 2010, 03:01 AM   #6
ejhc11

Optics, optics

Yes, I agree with some people you don't need the thousand dollar scope to make that hunt but you also can't do it with a Barska (Chinese made?). The optics and its coatings just cannot compare to the better known Japanese, German and US optic companies. The glass clarity and quality of the coating makes all the difference. Just save enough to get something nicer and it'll work better plus last longer.

Read some info on scope quality here even though they are not for your usage.
http://www.snipercentral.com/scopereviews.htm
Old September 13, 2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

IIRC, most commentary in the rifle forums about this brand have been mostly thumbs-down.
Old September 13, 2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Pahoo

Quote:
Honestly I wouldn't trust a Barska on a serious hunting rifle.
If I were getting serious about a good set-up, to take out west, I would not go with a Barska. It's not a matter of it not working out for you as it just might. It's just that I would hate to be out there and then find out the hard way that I should have gotten a better scope. I do have a few Barska scopes that serve me well on not too demanding service. However, I have had no failures so far !!
Your money and certainly your call and;

Be Safe !!!
Old September 13, 2010, 11:17 AM   #9
jmr40

Dr. Strangelove, to a point I agree with you. But spend $399 on a Zeiss Conquest and you will understand, and never go back to cheaper optics.

As a general rule most of the sub $150 scopes are a waste of money. They may work fine for a while, but sooner or later they will let you down. And you can bet it will not happen at the range. You will most likely find out it no longer works as soon as you try to take a shot at the biggest buck you have ever seen.

The Nikon Prostaff at about $150 is a decent scope. For the money, I've been impressed with everything made by Nikon. The Sightron and Burris scopes seem well made and good scopes for the money as well. I'm sure there are other scopes selling for around $200 that are decent as well, but I've had good luck with these.
Old September 13, 2010, 06:24 PM   #10
mitchell koster

Ok. Thanks all for your relpies.

I'll probably just end up going with a bushnell or something like that. Once again thanks for ALL your input.

Mitch.
Old September 13, 2010, 11:13 PM   #11
jgcoastie

I highly recommend Redfield. I have a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm on two of my hunting rifles and I have been highly impressed so far.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 27, 2010, 09:37 PM   #12
RickE

Burris makes a good scope for a fair price, great customer service if ever needed. Good AMERICAN company.
Old September 28, 2010, 12:46 AM   #13
gedenke

Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell, or Burris. Pretty much in that order, (my opinion). Of course there are others, (barska is NOT one of them), but I've had good luck with those.

Spend as much as you can afford. For around $150-200 one can get a decent scope from any of these companies. Of course, the more you spend, for the most part, the better the optic. Some of the high end stuff is well over $2000 or more.

One thing you'll hear over and over...cheap optics will cost you more, 'cause when the "bargain" konks on you, you'll have to go and buy a good scope, cussing yourself and the cheap optic the whole way. Don't forget about the warranty. Good companies take care of you "if" you have a problem. Cheap scopes usually don't have a lifetime warranty. Food for thought.

So, what is that...about the 10,000th time this subject has been brought up? That's ok, I think I brought it up at least once when I was new to the sport!
Old September 28, 2010, 12:56 AM   #14
gedenke

On a side note, I currently have a Nikon Buckmaster (love that scope) and a Leupold VX-I. Both have performed well and both were around $200. Next purchase will most likely ba a Nikon Monarch for my new .300win mag.
Old September 28, 2010, 02:28 PM   #15
Smokey Joe

Truism...

Mitchell Koster--It seems that it's even more true with optics than it is with things in general: You Get What You Pay For.

I can't afford a Nightforce or a Swarovski 'scope, although they'd be nice. If I were richer... But I sure go with Leupold or Bushnell over the cheapies.

Had a BSA once, and only once. Of course the zero wandered. Of course I found out when shooting at a deer, as opposed to finding that out @ the range. I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER BSA 'SCOPE. One deer with a shot leg, hobbling off to disappear into the brush, is enough. (Yes, I'm a better shot than that.) OK, end of rant.

But save up and buy yourself a good 'scope.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; September 28, 2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Clumsy wording
Old September 29, 2010, 12:15 AM   #16
jhgreasemonkey

You can find some good quality reasonably priced used scopes on gunbroker or ebay rather than settle for a poor quality new scope. I got a nice used weaver recently for half of what it would have cost me new. There were quite a few great deals on used nikons, weavers, and bushnell elites.
Old September 29, 2010, 08:40 AM   #17
Sam06

I looked though one a guy had on a 22. It was ok but my rule of thumb is; I am willing to spend 3/4 of the price of my rifle for a good scope. I think for the money a Burris is hard to beat. There are better scopes out there but when my budget is tight I look at Burris Scopes. I rifle scope is basically a one time purchase so you may as well get the best scope you can afford.
Old September 29, 2010, 03:54 PM   #18
psychobily

Putting a cheap scope on a great gun is like.....

http://www.4scopes.com/cheap_scopes.htm

nuff said......

Last edited by psychobily; September 29, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old October 2, 2010, 01:41 PM   #19
miykael

Low quality or marketing?

Just like the car companies starting up "luxury" brands, the scope companies do the same thing. They need to sell "high end" products to the wealthy or government and NEED the lower end lines to push the higher end. Why would a company have a lower end brand? It's all marketing and profit driven. They create the desire and make you spend that extra you really can't afford to. So they build low quality to push high quality. The GOOD thing about the Chinese is that it's forcing the American companies to drop prices instead of continuing to abuse American loyalty to inferior products for loyaty sake (GM come to mind).

I own a Bushnell Elite 3200 but also bought a NcStar for target shooting. Yes, I would love to have bought the Elite 6500 but $$$.

NcStar makes what they make, not a high brand and a low brand. Barska, Tasco etc are the same. It's not rocket science...it's profit driven marketing. The high end guys CAN sell their best scopes mass produced for a low price. They choose not to.

Aside from this, I'm glad that Burris is integrating a laser range finder (and more) into their new scope. With new technology, I don't see why a 70x optical camcorder style, computerized scope (with all reticles, drops stats etc) can't be made. I'm sure it will come out for $4000 first then the Chinese will make it for $200 Camera & computer technology will make it into scopes. iPhone/iPod driven scopes will appear. Ultra-High end cameras already have something like 80 Megapixels, so chip/glass optics combos aren't far off.
Old October 2, 2010, 03:38 PM   #20
hooligan1

Physcobily...hehehe... Ya mule Ya mule!!! (in the famous voice of Yosimte Sam), Mitchell you definetley do not need one of those! What are you using now?