The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 15, 1999, 12:18 AM   #1
bald1

George,

I'm an am amateur smith and have modified a 1990 FN MKIII and FM (Argentine) Detective (chopped P-35). Here's a series of 3 pictures and a complete desription of the modifications made: click link here

The FM has the older style sear lever and exhibits no take up and a very crisp release of the trigger and no overtravel after my modifications. The MKIII however has the "newer" paddle style lever and has more take up than I would like. The release is quite crisp at a about 3.5 pounds with no overtravel.

The only way I can figure to correct this is to build up the contact pad on the paddle of the sear lever. What is your recommendation as to the best method of building it up? If I weld, what materials and method? Will I risk screwing up the heat treatment of the sear lever? Is there another option I'm missing?

Appreciate any counsel, advise, and wisdom you can provide !

-=[Bob]=-
Old August 15, 1999, 07:52 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Bob, you could weld it up. That might be the easiest way. I don't think the heat treat on this part would be a major concern. And if you wish you can always re-heat treat with your torch. There are at least 2 other options. I don't have a lever to measure but if it's wide enough you can drill and epoxy in a piece of drill rod or pin that you can easily file down to the height you need. I normally use a 3/64" pin. On some trigger jobs this is the only way to decrease take-up. You might also silver solder a piece of shim stock to the lever. You could determine the thickness you need by marking the triggerguard with a pencil in front of the trigger and then take up the slack and mark the trigger's new position. The distance between the two marks minus .015" is the thickness you want your shim to be. Very nice work on those two. George
Old August 15, 1999, 12:58 PM   #3
bald1

George,

I appreciate the counsel and intend to look at the silver soldering suggestion as a good way to go.

Thanks again!

-=[Bob]=-