The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 1, 2002, 07:16 PM   #1
Prof

Rifle Basix trigger help

I just installed the Rifle Basix #2 trigger on my Savage 10FP. Had all the screws adjusted (by dumb luck!) to a good pull. Had dry fired it a few times and took it to the range today to try it out. When I got to the range, the bolt would not open. The safety is off but the action won't work! What did I do wrong? Any help will be appreciated!

Old November 1, 2002, 08:43 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I suggest contacting the manufacturer. Meantime, I'm moving this to the Smith forum.

, Art
Old November 2, 2002, 08:33 AM   #3
kurt IA.

When you say dry fired it. was it in the stock, or out?
Old November 2, 2002, 10:08 AM   #4
Prof

kurt IA: It was in the stock. I had reassembled the rifle and dry fired it a few times to check the trigger pull. All okay. I placed it in my hardcase and took it to the range. When I took it out of the case, the bolt wouldn't open. I have to admit that I didn't Locktite the trigger screws as suggested in the directions. I wanted to check out the rifle on the range before doing that. Do you think the screws may have jarred out of position during the dry firing? I admit this is the first time I have ever worked on a rifle, being a pistolero up til now.
Old November 3, 2002, 10:38 PM   #5
Prof

kurt, anybody???

Old November 4, 2002, 07:55 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Prof, when you take the action out of the stock you'll probably be able to see what's wrong. I've never installed the Basix trigger for anyone but I have installed the Sharpshooter. I don't know how different they are but it seems I recall somewhere in the instructions that came with it was a note talking about "if the bolt didn't open" and telling you what was in the way. The best bet would be to give them a call at 704 566-1939. George
Old November 4, 2002, 08:28 AM   #7
kurt IA.

Sorry Prof- Ben away for a wile. I would do as George and Art say,
my thoughs were that it mite be binding when in the stock, have a Hart that will do as yours does when tighten down, it screws to the action, and saw a action beded so bad that when the action screws were tighten it would bend the action so the bolt would not open, seeing as this ain't it, out of ideas.
Old November 4, 2002, 11:18 AM   #8
Prof

George and Kurt: Thanks for your responses. I followed what both of you had said, took the action out of the stock, checked safety screw on trigger, action screws, etc., no luck. Then, after sleeping on it overnight, I thought about what you both had said about "screws" binding, etc. I had also mounted a scope on it with a new one-piece Leupold base. Took that off and found that one of the screws was shorter than the others. Switched it to the position over the action (which I was probably supposed to do in the first place ) and, ta-dah!, the bolt opened! I never would have connected the scope mount to a problem with the action if you hadn't mentioned the word "screws". Thanks for the help!