The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 30, 2002, 08:33 PM   #1
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

1903A3 trigger - polish or Timney?

That's a silent "o" in polish - LOL! I'm restoring a 1903A3 and having a blast. Something about walnut and BLO is just good for you...

I do not care for the trigger though. Two stage per the year made, but spongy - need crisp! I'm not adverse to doing a little file and polish work if it's possibe.

Thoughts?
Old October 31, 2002, 08:43 AM   #2
sleeping dog

polishing will help smooth out the stages. I had a lot of second stage "creep" in mine, so I stoned down the rear "bump" on the trigger to increase the length of the first stage and decrease the second stage. I left a little creep in there, just to be safe, but it is much improved.

I just stoned a little at a time, with many rounds of "disassemble, stone, polish, reassemble, test". "Reassemble" means put the trigger back together in the receiver and put the bolt in, but not putting the action back into the stock.

Since I was doing this "trial and error", I used a spare trigger that I got from a gun show. But it worked out ok.

Regards.
Old October 31, 2002, 08:44 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Unless you have or are going to buy an extra trigger like Sleeping Dog, I think you'd be much happier with the Timney. George
Old October 31, 2002, 10:00 AM   #4
Khornet

I put a Timney

I think the 'Sportsman' or something like that, on my 03A3. Easy as pie, works great. Try it.
Old October 31, 2002, 04:47 PM   #5
sleeping dog

I just messed with my trigger because I like to tinker with these things. I like the way mine turned out.

I'm afraid of getting a Timney trigger . I might like it so much that I'd want one for all the rifles. Right now I'm dumb and happy with the smoothed-out trigger on the 03A3, the Swede M96, the Spanish FR8, etc.

I'd bet the Timney trigger is like a potato chip - can't buy just one

Regards.