The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2000, 06:46 PM   #1
Secmat

Today was rotate ammo day. After I had placed fresh shells in my shotgun kit, I realized that there was a great pile of old stuff that needed to be shot up. The 2 3/4" 00 was fun, 2 3/4" slugs made me smile, 3" 00 was thrilling. What's this? 3" magnum slugs? If you don't hit your target, then the flash can be used as a flamethrower. Quite exhilarating from an 18" tube...

I guess I need to stop working so much; it's beginning to take it's toll.

------------------
"Those who dance are thought mad by those that don't hear the music."
Old September 22, 2000, 06:08 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You brought up a good point. Serious ammo should be test fired in low light to see how bad the flash is. Otherwise, you get one shot in an AS scenario and then you're night blind.BTW, firing the ammo I use in both my 870s reveals little if any difference in flash between 18 and 20" bbls.

It's not limited to shotguns, the 3 inch S&W 640 I picked up for Daughter a few years ago is not a good combo with my old duty load, 38 +P+ 110 gr. Fireball is quite impressive, so the milder +P loads are used.
Old September 23, 2000, 01:19 AM   #3
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

The difference in muzzle flash is quite great between ammo brands. In .223 PMP is fine but Guatemalan surplus is horrible. In 9x19, Silvertips and S&B JHPs are fine but Remington 115JHP and Am.Eagle are just terrible.

In shotgun ammo, I have yet to see much difference between various brands of #3 buck and birdshot BUT I do see a serious difference in the distances at which the wad drops off and the pattern spreads, also in evenness of the pattern.