The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 2, 2012, 07:44 AM   #26
zincwarrior

Quote:
"Yea... I will never, ever, own a firearm with "Abu Dhabi" stamped in the side of it."

How about Germany, Japan, the former Soviet Union, or any of its satellites?
No actually. Like everything else, if there are domestic options of equal value then I go with them (or alternatively if foeign companies manufacture the actail items here). If not I prefer allied or NAFTA countries.

Regardless and to the topic, I've seen several reviews, but I don't see what the hubbub is about these pistols. Sevreral reviewers have noted these feel substantially more advanced that existing "plastic" guns. However, can someone detail what separates them from Glock, S&W, etc?

Last edited by zincwarrior; October 2, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old October 2, 2012, 08:06 AM   #27
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Poly or standard rifling, and where is it sent for service?
Standard. Caracal-USA is in AL and that's were service is performed.

Quote:
However, can someone detail what separates them from Glock, S&W, etc?
Compared to the Glocks---Cost, especially for people who don't qualify for the blue lable program

Compared to the M&P---the trigger. People spend $100 or more on Apex parts to get a decent trigger and even with the Apex kit the trigger on this gun is still better than what you'd end up with (by a good bit)

XDs---much lower bore axis and softer shooting. Trigger again as well.

But, in the end all of the guns above are good guns (I have them all) and all will serve you well. It's personal preference in the end I suppose.
Old October 2, 2012, 08:32 AM   #28
zincwarrior

Good summary of the differences Plouffedaddy. Thanks!
Old October 2, 2012, 10:05 AM   #29
BleedinPurple

these caracal pistols are intriguing....the only thing that worries me is aftermarket support...not really customization type support, but what if something breaks support...are spare parts available??

id much rather spend 399 and get this than spend 550 on a glock that will have a worse trigger...

on a side note i wish they would come out with the SC because i think it would be a nice little brother to my ppq which i love...
Old October 2, 2012, 11:13 AM   #30
spodwo

Quote:
Compared to the M&P---the trigger. People spend $100 or more on Apex parts to get a decent trigger and even with the Apex kit the trigger on this gun is still better than what you'd end up with (by a good bit)
Yep - I had the Apex trigger put in my S&W. I still like the Caracal trigger better even after the modification to my S&W.
Old October 3, 2012, 12:24 AM   #31
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
However, can someone detail what separates them from Glock, S&W, etc?
  • Ambidextrous magazine release.
  • 18 rounds in a gun (Caracal F) slightly smaller than a 17 round Glock 17
  • Steel magazines.
  • Steel sights.
  • More of a constant pull trigger. There's less stacking than a typical Glock trigger.
  • Detail stripping requires dealing with roll pins which I don't like.
  • Accessories, even including magazines are harder or MUCH harder to find and more expensive.
  • The slide release is even less ergonomic than the standard Glock slide release.
  • The primary mechanisms of the gun, including the slide rails, are contained in a steel unit that can be removed from the plastic frame.
  • The connector appears to be less prone to wear than the Glock connector.
  • There's a window that allows one to visually check the chamber for a round.
  • The striker protrudes through the rear of the slide and is visible when the trigger is "set" and ready to fire.
  • The rear sight is part of a larger assembly and can't be replaced without replacing the entire assembly.
  • The disassembly levers are easier to operate.
  • The rifling is standard, not polygonal.
  • The sight radius (on the standard sight model Caracal F) is about the same--maybe a hair longer--than the sight radius of the Glock 17 even though the G17 is a larger gun.

Last edited by JohnKSa; October 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Clarification/correction.
Old October 3, 2012, 06:43 AM   #32
Mrgunsngear

Well said. One clarification however. The F model is 18+1, the C is 15+1.
Old October 3, 2012, 05:46 PM   #33
wilson133

I bought a C model and shot it with various loads. It replaced my M&P 40c as my carry gun. I found all of the pluses mentioned above apply.
Old October 3, 2012, 07:13 PM   #34
Dashunde

I agree with Johns list, its a to 6-to-6 tie with Glock by my read.
Not yet enough to sway me tho. If they're still around in 15 years.
Wouldnt mind seeing the accessory rail disappear.

I really am trying to like this gun, its a good looking pistol, except for the rear view (see page 1 here). I'd like to come across a rental to shoot and examine here in STL.

I would probably JUMP on a PM9-sized single stack from them at $400... in a flash. (German or not)
Old October 3, 2012, 11:00 PM   #35
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Well said. One clarification however. The F model is 18+1, the C is 15+1.
That is correct--I'll edit my post to make that clear.
Quote:
a to 6-to-6 tie with Glock by my read.
Dunno. It's definitely cheaper which is a major plus. The accessory availability, cost are pretty big negatives and will outweigh the initial cost benefit in short order if you try to stock up on magazines.

For me, tinkerer that I am, the roll pins are a pretty serious negative. Not only are they metric, at least one of them is a nonstandard length which means it's nearly impossible to get unless Caracal USA stocks them. For most gun owners, it's a total non-issue because they'll never take their gun apart past the field strip level.

One other thing I forgot in my other list is that the trigger seems to have very little or no overtravel which I find, in general, to be a big positive when shooting pistols.