The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 22, 2005, 11:08 PM   #1
Te Anau

MAC 10 vs SWD M11/9

Which of these is the better and more durable gun.They seem to be the only full auto stuff thats even remotely affordable.I wish there were a bunch of full auto .22lr's out there.
Old March 22, 2005, 11:25 PM   #2
w4klr

I am partial to the MAC 10, Ingram has made superb class IIIs, and I fully agree with you on the affordability. That gun will last a lifetime, I've had mine since 85, and I shoot it quite frequently, never a problem. Although, it is just a toy (term used loosely), since all it does is eat ammo. I love having a pistol that can nearly empty the magazine before the first shell hits the ground.

Buy the MAC 10, you will be fully satisfied and unfortunately, want more NFA autos
Old March 23, 2005, 12:20 PM   #3
boofus

If you get a properly welded M10, like the Powder Springs or the SWD built Texas MACs they will be more durable than the M11/9.

The M10 is heavier and built to stand the pounding from .45ACP. The M11/9 also has an insane rate of fire. Alot of people have slow fire conversions done to their M11s. If you get a M10/9 it will shoot much slower because of the 9mm round pushing the big heavy bolt originally sized for .45.

The M11/9 does have more aftermarket goodies. Stuff like carbine uppers, suomi drum uppers, etc...
Old March 23, 2005, 06:40 PM   #4
shaggy

Personally I'd steer clear of the MAC 10/9 and the RPB and PS .380 MACs. Mags can be very hard to find and expensive when you do (look for Walther MPL/MPK mags). The PS MAC 10/45 and the SWD M11-9, SWD M11A1 are by far the easiest to get mags for.

I also wouldn't worry too much about durability. I've got three SWD M11-9's and have owned an SWD M11A1 - they will hold up just fine to tens of thousands of rounds. The only parts you really need to worry about are the cocking knob, sear spring, safety assembly (made of very cheap pot metal - I just threw mine out), and the front takedown pin IF its the type with a ball detent (if its the two piece front pin, you should have little to worry about).

The SWD M11 is nice in that it is by far one of the most versatile MACs out there and has tons of accessories and modifications you can do to it. The PS MAC 10/45 is a classic though. You simply can't go wrong with one.
Old March 23, 2005, 07:12 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
I wish there were a bunch of full auto .22lr's out there.
You can get .22LR conversions for either the MAC-10 or M11/9. It uses Ruger 10/22 magazines. SubCal is one of a few different manufacturers.

NRA Life Member