The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 7, 2012, 11:49 PM   #1
BerdanSS

CVA Bobcat...?s

Any reason I couldn't use 777 50/50 pellets in my LNIB .50 caliber bobcat I picked up today "used"? I know they say 209 inlines ONLY on them, but..... it has a musket nipple on it currently if that matters. Also does anyone know what the maximum charge to shoot regularly (and safely) with this would be?

I had a traditions that was similar to this one a long time ago and I normally shot 90grs of pyrodex RS behind a 280gr Remington lubed conicle. Would like to use pellets for convenience. Thinking of using T/C maxi-balls or 245gr powerbelts.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:30 AM   #2
arcticap

The maximum load should basically be the same as for the Traditions sidelock rifles of the same caliber. The maximum loads are listed on page 5 of the Traditions sidelock PDF manual which are 110 of 2F and 105 of 3F.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/cm...ock_manual.pdf

Since a musket cap is not as powerful as a 209 primer, I don't know if it will work reliably with pellets in a sidelock or not. You're probably better off with loading loose powder only since Traditions doesn't recommend using them in sidelocks. And Hodgdon specifically warns against using any kind of booster charge of loose powder under the pellets probably because there's a chance that a delayed double ignition could create a bore obstruction resulting in barrel damage or an injurious rupture.

Quote:
Pellets are intended to be used in place of granular powder. Do not combine Pellets with loose powder. Do not combine Pellets of different caliber sizes.

http://www.hodgdon.com/ml-warning.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditions Sidelock Manual Page 7
Note: Preformed Pyrodex® Pellets generally work best in in-line rifles and were not designed for guns with side-lock ignition.Traditions™ Thunder Magnum™ rifle is an exception to this in that its ignition channel directs the spark to the rear of the propellant load so that the shooter can utilize pellets.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/cm...ock_manual.pdf
Quote:
The original Pyrodex Pellet designed for use in 50 caliber, in-line rifles. A single 50/50 pellet may be used for a light target or small game load while two 50/50 pellets may be combined to provide a potent 100 gr. equivalent load for big game. They are packed 100 pellets to the box and 24 pellets to the card. It may be used with standard caps, musket caps or 209 ignition system

http://www.hodgdon.com/pyrodex-pellets.html

Last edited by arcticap; November 8, 2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Pahoo

Expectations ??

One of our teaching rifles, is a CVA Bobcat. I chose this one because it is still a sidelock (??). It's light for the younger folks, easy to clean and very serviceable, for this teaching effort. Even at that, we run into ignition problems, using loose 777. ...

Personally, I would not push this little guy too hard and keep to a modest hunting shot string, using loose powder. I'm sorry but I just could not put this much trust in this rifle. We have shot 70grns. of 777 and strictly round ball. Also knowing how the Maxi's and Mini's shoot, I would never shoot these in this rifle. ....

Definition of Performance; Meeting or exceeding your expectations.

There are many Bobcats out there and this is only MHO. I'm sure and hope that others in here could provide more support toward your goals ...

Be Safe !!!
Old November 8, 2012, 05:32 PM   #4
BerdanSS

Have a bad experience with maxi or minis? I used pre lubed maxis in the other one I had.....I remember them being dead accurate at 75 yards. What about modern sabots? plastic jacketed or un-jacketed like power belts? This this is going to be used on white tails.
Old November 8, 2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Pahoo

Quote:
Have a bad experience with maxi or minis?
No sir, not either although I prefer the TC MaxiHunters and Hornady Great plains. It's just that they all kick like a Missouri mule but you have to keep in mind that mass, kills. They will hammer the Bobcat. ...

Quote:
What about modern sabots? plastic jacketed or un-jacketed like power belts?
Oh yes, but save your money. There are plenty of companies that stick it to you on price. You can here the register ching every time you shoot. On my hunters, I just shoot a pistol lead bullet in .44 at 230 to 240 grains in a Hornady sabot or equal. ....

You money and your call.
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 8, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old November 8, 2012, 06:47 PM   #6
BerdanSS

Cool...thank you for clearing that up for me. I "weighted and Balanced" the rifle a little to help with the mule kick on these little suckers. I don't remember noticing any difference with a maxi ball over a patched round ball with the traditions I had a ways back. But it did have a wood stock, rather than the uber light (well...previously light) synthetic one on the bobcat. So I can see that there could be a increase in recoil.