The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 17, 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
TennJed

Any experiences with the Just Right Carbine?

I am thinking of getting a pistol caliber carbine (9mm or 45acp). It will be mainly a fun range gun. I reload these calibers in pretty large quanities, so a hi mag rifle would be a good partner for my pistols. Does anyone have any experience or now what the general thoughts are on the Just Right Carbines?

http://www.justrightcarbines.com/
Old November 17, 2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

Sorry, misunderstood. Ignore.
Old November 18, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3
publius

Never heard of them, but it is an AR platform. I would look around at all the makers of 9mm AR's and buy the one I liked the most. Go check out AR15.com. Pretty tough forum but those guys know their AR's.
Old November 18, 2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Actually, it's not an AR, but rather a simple blowback rifle made to look like one.

From what I've seen, they're decently accurate and very reliable.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:04 PM   #5
TRaGiK

Owned one shortly after they were released. Mine was in 9mm and took Glock mags.

Hitting a 20 inch gong at 200 meters was extremely easy with it. Never put it on paper, so can't give any real accuracy figures.

Within 200 rounds, the extractor wore out. Called the company and they offered to fix it for me, or send me 2 extractors for free. I took the extractors, replaced it, and sold the gun.

I really liked to gun, but that one problem scared me off from it. At the time, I hadn't heard of anyone else having that problem, nor have I heard of it since. I WOULD own another.

It accepts standard AR butt stocks, ar pistol grips, and the fire control parts are standard ar stuff. Everything else is proprietary.

ETA: The one complaint I have with it, is you need tools to field strip and clean it. This annoyed me greatly, but still wasn't a deal breaker, and wouldn't keep me from buying another.
Old November 20, 2012, 02:08 AM   #6
publius

Huh, guess I need to find out what I'm posting about before giving advice.. Looked like an AR so I figured it was.
Old November 20, 2012, 06:03 PM   #7
MarkCO

I've been fortunate enough to test almost all of the dedicated 9mm carbines (not AR variants) on the market having really liked the Marlin Camp 9 that I sold many years ago to pay college tuition.

Anyway, the JRCs have not been reliable and there have been some that had problems that put them into the dangerous category. If you are looking for something not an AR and not cheap, the best bet is Thureon Defense. I have run them in 9mm and 45 with both modified steel and Glock magazines. I'll be testing a 10mm version this December.