The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 26, 2006, 07:40 AM   #26
American4guns

Wayne,GM
That gun was refinished about 25 yrs ago.We use a molten cyanide pot @ about 1480 degrees then a timed air cool 1 to 5 seconds ,depending on colors desired ,then quenched in brine,rinsed in water ,dried, oiled and packed for shipping.You dont get much of a case because the parts are only in long enough to come up to temp.so the process is for color,not for hardness.
If anyone is interested in having parts color case hardened .i can provide info to you.Thanks for the compliments
Old January 26, 2006, 07:43 AM   #27
Remington kid

Kevin, The hunting trips sound great! I haven't hunted the west in many years. When you get to Colo. you won't want to come back so you better take all your clothes with you. They can always use another cop out there
The price of gas alone would prevent me from going that far. Hell, just for me to get to your area of Nashville from here would break me!
I'm guessing it's about 1300 miles for you to get to Denver area and a whole lot more to NM.You will love the country and the people, Mike