The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2009, 10:23 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

lots of 223 loads out there...not alot of 68 grain bthp match in a shorter barrel ???

I built a 16.5" carbine barrel for my Contender with a 1 in 8 twist barrel, & am looking for some good load possibilities for the Hornady 68 grain bthp "match" bullet bullet in a shorter barrel... I've gleened most of my sources, then cross referenced against my powder stock ( new stuff can be tough to come by )... but also with all the changes in powders lately ( western / Ramshot being new, then buying accurate, etc... ) I'd be ok buying a newer powder, ( again, if it's available )

anyway, I'm hoping for a good 300 yard cartridge when I'm done...I'm going to start up some test loads going off some reciepes I found for the 69 grain Match King, using 2 powders I have in stock... both are IMR powders, ( 3031, & 4198 ) both are on the faster side of the burn rate for reciepes I've found, & should work better on my 16.5" barrel than maybe some of the slower powders...

anyone load or shoot anything similar, & care to share what they are using ??? or have a suggestion as to one of the newer powders to try as well ??? I'm looking for tightest groups, loaded on a single stage press, so powder metering, consistant velocity, as well as best properties for a 1 in 8 twist 16.5" barrel are what I'm looking for

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; April 5, 2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old April 5, 2009, 04:43 PM   #2
P-990

Varget and 4895 are your friends. RL-15 if you can find it reliably (I can't) is also good. Win 748 works OK too, but be careful near max loads on hot days. I've burned firing pins in my AR with under-max loads and 69gr bullets using 748.

A max speed powder is a max speed power, be it from a 16" barrel or a 20" barrel.

But Varget, a CCI BR-4 primer and a Nosler/Sierra/Hornady 68-77gr slug is a go-to Highpower load for the short lines (200-300 yards). RL-15 is maybe more popular, depending on powder availability. I've also heard about people using Accurate 2520, I think that's the proper designation.
Old April 6, 2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the reply...

some other powders I'm looking at are 4227 Ramshot X-Terminator, Ramshot TAC, AA-2520, & 4320

I guess I'm wondering what's going to be available in the future, & build a load around that power... with Ramshot buying out Accurate powders, they seem like the ones to develop with right now

My problem is I have lots of older powders left over from my father in law ( lots of Hercules powders, Dupont etc. )
Old April 6, 2009, 12:12 PM   #4
ForneyRider

I use R-15 with 69 SMK and 75gr Hornady BTHP, but in a 20in barrel.

I use AA2230 with lighter bullets but there is load data for AA2230 and 69gr bullets. It is a fast powder like 3031, R-7 etc., but is very fine like sand.