The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 2002, 01:48 AM   #1
TCW

Lubing my 870 trigger group?

Hi All,

I cleaned my trigger assembly w/ Gun Scrubber, which takes off everything including lube. Now, should I spray a little CLP/oil in there or just wipe down the outside?

Thanks!
TCW
Old December 20, 2002, 05:50 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

What I've done lately with my 870 TGs is place them in a ziplock bag with some SLIP 2000 and seal, then roll it around long enough to ensure all surfaces are covered. I then hang and drain the excess back into the bag, wipe off accessible surfaces and re-install.

Too much lube is almost as bad as none. It catches grunge, sometimes spoils clothing, and does little to protect the metal a light but complete coating will not.

HTH....
Old December 20, 2002, 09:41 PM   #3
johnbt

All I've ever done is what Remington says in the manual. Spray it heavily with Rem Oil and let it sit while I clean the gun. Shake the excess off and reinstall.

I've never had the first bit of trouble with functioning in freezing cold weather while duck hunting.

John
Old December 20, 2002, 10:11 PM   #4
HSMITH

I hunt in WAY sub zero temps sometimes, the only way the gun will function 110% at 15-20 below zero is DRY, BONE DRY. Now, if temps will not get below about 15* what Dave said is the best way to do it. Let it hang for a day or two if you can. Otherwise just shoot some lube in it and go.

In preperation for a super cold weather hunt the gunscrubber type sprays are what I use to get all the lube out, they work well.

Don't worry about rust or wear when hunting with it dry, in that kind of cold everything is frozen and the number of shots taken when hunting are not all that great. So long as you don't warm the shotgun in the house or car rust will not start. If you take it in the house or warm it in the car you had better get the lube and rust protection on it ASAP as the entire gun will be wet from condensation.
Old December 21, 2002, 09:50 AM   #5
johnbt

That's good to know HSMITH. I have zero experience with those conditions since it seldom gets below 15 to 20F here and at that temp the saltwater in the bottom of the boat takes a while to freeze. Sometimes the salt spray will freeze on the guns and sometimes it won't.

And that is extremely good advice about warm buildings and condensation. Anyone who has ever worn glasses knows how fast they'll fog up going from the cold into a warm space - immediately. We either leave our guns outside on the porch or lock them up in a vehicle.

John
Old December 21, 2002, 10:25 AM   #6
kehrby

I'm with johnbt on this one. I use remoil too on just about everything. If I understand right, after it dries it just leaves a teflon coating on everything which should not stick even in extreme cold. I do not however have experience hunting in any weather colder than 0 degrees. I also use it in my Ruger 10/22 magazines which tend to get dirty and stick after awhile. I've had guys tell me that they need to be completely taken apart to be cleaned properly but all I do is shoot brake cleaner in them, blow them out with compressed air and then shoot in some more remoil and they are good to go. Have a merry Christmas.

Steve
Old December 21, 2002, 12:33 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good point, Howard, I tend to forget some folks have worse conditions than we.

I tend to leave my weapons cased for a couple hours when bringing them in from the cold, to let the tmeps adjust more gradually. Uncasing's after a few hours is essential, some cases turn into sponges when left alone for long...