The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Buzzard

Gun Show in Kingman AZ

I attended the Kingman Gun, Knife, Coin & Collectibles Show & Sale held in Kingman AZ and I got to say. In my opinion it was a joke....
22lr being sold for 79.99 a brick......Hi-Points being sold for 269.00.....
Walked around for an hour or so and could not take anymore of the gouged prices.
OK , I feel better....
Old January 26, 2013, 03:25 PM   #2
dalegribble

it is no wonder gun shows get a bad rap on the evening news. it is obvious by their outragous prices that they are outlets for anything gun related, hand guns, rifles and carbines of any kind that they are designed to sell these items at outragously high prices to people that don't want to have to show proof or go thru a background check. i can buy any gun or gun accessory cheaper from the local cabelas or sportsmans warehouse without paying admission or parking. if they are looking for tighter gun controls i would put gun shows on the table as they havn't benifited normal law abiding gun purchasers for many years now.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:11 PM   #3
mj246

I wouldn't necessarily go that far. There are still a few decent gun shows around the country. And don't forget that these shows often have a much wider variety of guns and accessories than many areas local stores have combined. I have bought three guns at gun shows, all used and for a good price. My favorite gun show near me also has an ammo booth from the Miwall ammo corporation, which often has better ammo prices and selection than any local stores (including WalMart) as well.

Whenever the "gun shows are terrible" threads come up I always mention that one of the biggest reasons I still go to gun shows is just to see many firearms and accessories that I otherwise wouldn't find locally or even know about until I see them at the show. Yes, they are often not good places for finding NIB Glocks, Sigs, and other extremely common firearms because of high prices, but could be good for finding more rare and interesting guns than the newest AR or wonder 9. I guess maybe the one I like is better than most, I don't know.

As far as gunshows only benefiting criminals; This is an untruth that must be put to rest. Most of the people at these shows are law abiding citizens that can legally own firearms, even the ones looking for private sales. I don't know if this extends to most localities or only the shows I've been to in my city, but at these shows every single firearm purchased from a booth goes through a background check. If the booth is not an FFL a transfer is completed on the spot by a local FFL for their normal transfer fee (or possibly even slightly less). So any firearm transaction that doesn't go through the check has nothing to do with it being a gunshow, but is just the location of a face-to-face private sale, where it is the seller's responsibility to determine that the buyer seems like a lawful and legal buyer. Just like any other private firearms sale.

So I am sorry if the gunshows in your town/area are not good. That really stinks. However, please do not start saying that all gunshows are only places for criminals to buy firearms at inflated prices without a background check. If the gunshow near you is riddled with price gouging and criminals, then by all means don't go, or better yet try to contact the people running the show with your concerns and see if you can't effect a change. But do not say that all shows should be shut down by law just because you have some negative experiences.

Sorry for the long rant. And sorry you didn't enjoy the show Buzzard. Hopefully the craziness and price gouging will end sooner rather than later and we can actually find guns and ammo in stock and fairly priced again.
Old January 27, 2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Buzzard

DEon't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show. I had a great time looking at all the different firearms that was offered.
I went back to the show today and there was different guns out to be seen.
I ended up buying a Hi-Standard .22 Derringer and got it for a good price, but like I said it was not there yesterday.
The only thing I was saying is " Know your prices ahead of the show".

Last edited by Buzzard; January 27, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old January 27, 2013, 06:52 PM   #5
mj246

That's definitely true. You should always know the going prices for any firearm you're seriously considering to buy. Also, if you or someone your with has a good smartphone, you may be able to look up values/prices at the show if there is something new you haven't researched.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:34 PM   #6
junker

+1 on the smartphone. I use mine to research ammo all time... usually by headstamp. Very useful tool.