The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 20, 2016, 03:15 PM   #1
Trailtraveler

Used Blackhawk

I'm considering buying a used Ruger Blackhawk, 357 mag, from a local gun store. Are there any sort of things I should look out for when buying a used revolver?
Old July 20, 2016, 03:23 PM   #2
2damnold4this

Yes. There is a sticky at the top of this forum entitled "revolver checkout."
Old July 20, 2016, 03:28 PM   #3
smee78

Yes, the check out is a good start. It is hard to go wrong with a Blackhawk, they are quality guns. There are a few different frame sizes, be sure you know what model you have before you go running Ruger only loads through it.
Old July 20, 2016, 03:34 PM   #4
Jim Watson

As far as I know, "Ruger only loads" only applies to overloaded .45 Colt to be shot in Blackhawks and original large frame Vaqueros.
Old July 20, 2016, 04:47 PM   #5
smee78

I know they have 44 & 45, would not surprise me if someone loaded up a 357 to max levels?
Old July 20, 2016, 08:51 PM   #6
tallball

I have bought four used Ruger single-action revolvers from Gunbroker. All of them work fine. The Blackhawk is a very sturdy revolver. If it checks out okay with the items on the sticky, I wouldn't hesitate. I don't think most people would wear out a Blackhawk in their lifetime.

This is my 357. I got it for a good price after stalking them for a while on GB. It is my favorite 38/357 that I own out of half a dozen or so. I am guessing it was shot quite a bit before I got it, but it locks up tight and is very accurate.

Old July 20, 2016, 09:40 PM   #7
Soclosenotnear

In eight years working at the pawn shop, I've never gotten a complaint on one I've sold. Even ones that had clearly been used much more than others.
Old July 21, 2016, 12:02 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"Used" isn't an ugly word in Firearms Land. Takes a great deal of abuse to damage a modern firearm. And no local gun store would take the risk of selling something that isn't safe to shoot.
Old July 21, 2016, 04:55 PM   #9
Trailtraveler

Thanks for the input, everybody. Thanks especially for pointing out the "revolver checkout." sticky to me. Being new I didn't know it was there. Very useful! Now if I could just make up my mind...
Old July 22, 2016, 10:11 AM   #10
Jim March

On a large-frame Ruger single action, take a look at the "lawyer's warning label" ("read the manual" and such) on the barrel. If it's missing the gun is either customized or fairly old (not necessarily a bad thing). If the warning label is on the side of the barrel it's pre-2007. If it's under the barrel it's post-2007, and marks an engineering change.

The change involves how the cylinder was made. The old method had six bit/reamer sets all going at once. The new method has just one bit/reamer that does all six (or sometimes more) chambers sequentially. The new method is better. There are fewer variances between chambers and the overall dimensional accuracy is better. Average out-of-the-box accuracy is improved.

All of the mid-frame models from 2004 forward have this change it started there. It has also migrated to the Single Six. This is also why Ruger now has an eight-shot large-frame (in 327) and 9/10rd models of Single Six.

What else...ah. There's a large-frame model that came out in 2006 that's an oddball: the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk Flattop in 44Mag. This gun has some features from the mid-frame including how the cylinder stop works and has the smaller grip frame same as a New Vaquero. It has an under-barrel warning label but the new cylinder process. The only one like that I know of. With the small grip and in 44Mag it's not that popular (not too many were made either) but it's a great starting point for a custom.
Old July 22, 2016, 05:52 PM   #11
gwpercle

If the Blackhawk has three action screws instead of two , grab it !

If it has three screws and a flat top , jump on it with both feet !
Old July 22, 2016, 06:16 PM   #12
Trailtraveler

@gwpercle - It has two.

@Jim March - I can't remember. Maybe I should go check it out again.
Old July 23, 2016, 01:59 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

I bought a new in the box, New Model Blackhawk in 1983. The 3 Blackhawks, Super Blackhawk, and 5 Vaqueros I have bought since have all been bought used. No complaints about any of them.

Look on the gun, if it has screws on the side of the frame, its an "old model", the frame will just say Blackhawk, and it operates exactly like a Colt. Safe carry is 5 rnds, hammer down on empty chamber.

If it has pins, it is a new model (action change in 73) and will say "New Model Blackhawk". It does NOT operate like a Colt, uses a transfer bar, and is safe to carry with all 6 chambers loaded.

There is also the "converted" old model, which is an original model gun converted to the transfer bar system by Ruger.