The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 5, 2013, 07:33 PM   #26
P-990

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeyser
P5, the .357 felt similar to my glock 26 so it didn't do much for me.
I'm suspecting you were shooting .38s if the .357 felt like your Baby Glock. I say this having a Glock 26 and two 4" S&W .357 revolvers too. Tossing full-power .357s is a slightly different experience compared to shooting even a compact 9mm.

Otherwise, what strikes your fancy? How many different firearms have you tried? Everybody has something that they will prefer over all others. I have a soft-spot for double-action S&W revolvers (rare for a young guy I've noticed).

What do you want to do with a larger pistol? Compete? Shoot longer range? Just make more noise and bigger holes in things? Deciding what you want it for will help.

And of course there's always the "I saw it in the gun shop and liked it" approach too.
Old November 6, 2013, 03:40 PM   #27
P5 Guy

Thompson Center 'Contender'

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/inter...s/g2-contender

Buy one gun and many different caliber barrels. You can explore all manner of ammunition with these. Only single shot but...
Some of the barrels are in rifle calibers too. Now that can be a real kicker.
Old November 6, 2013, 03:48 PM   #28
Nathan

Quote:
Thanks Nathan I don't know anything about kahrs except my ccw instructor in the past said he found the trigger pull is harder on them, but I've never shoot one and like you said its single stack so that might help!
Try it. They are striker fired, but a good feeling SF trigger? IMO
Old November 6, 2013, 06:59 PM   #29
kirbinster

Well I am a fairly new gun owner, less than a year. I guess I was too stupid too know that 40 caliber was an issue As such my first gun was a Gen4 Glock22 (.40 S&W). I did not know that the high pressure round was supposed to be a problem, so I just learned to shoot it and am very happy with it. It is the perfect HD gun as it is highly reliable and pack a punch. Plus even in the people's republic of NJ I can load it up with 15+1, I guess in CA you might be limited to 10+1 but that is still a lot of kick ass.

I have since purchased quite a few guns: S&W686+ .357 revolver, a pair of 1911's, Beretta 92FS and CZ-75B in matte stainless. My two favorites are my Kimber Eclipse Custom II .45acp and my 9mm CZ-75B. The .45 cal in a heavy metal gun is much easier to control than .40cal in a plastic gun. But my most favorite is the CZ. Its a sharp looking gun and I am super accurate with it. I have been using that one for USPSA competition lately.
Old November 7, 2013, 12:10 AM   #30
Justice06RR

Go with a Glock30S, or Glock36.

Get a 45ACP and skip the 40S&W altogether. JMO. 40cal is too snappy for some especially if you are recoil sensitive.

9mm is really sufficient for most cases if you use proper SD ammo. If you already have a G26 and want to "upgrade" to a larger caliber, get G30S, or even the G36.

I wouldn't even go into other handguns at this point. There are so many choices out there that it will all come down to preference. 1911's are nice, but can be pricey if you want quality.
Old November 7, 2013, 01:32 AM   #31
Tejicano

I would also advise you to shoot as many guns as you can make time for. Get a feeling for how revolvers feel TO YOU vs automatics. Figure which ones you like and what you don't. Then start narrowing down on caliber.

A Japanese lady (110 lbs, thin frame) I knew in grad school preferred my 45 ACP Para-Ordnance (a high capacity version of the 1911) to my High-Power in 9mm. To her the High-Power was snappier - had a sharper recoil - even though it was the smaller caliber. I figure that the bigger, wider frame on the Para-Ordnance distributed recoil across more area in her palm. It also weighs more so that helps soak up recoil.
Old November 7, 2013, 07:38 AM   #32
Tinner666

I was reading an interesting article last night. I believe it was Gunsa nd Ammo mag, but not sure since I didn't save it.
It was about PD across the country abandoning the '40 because the 9 had similar ballistics and this was due to ammo improvements.
I'd stick with what I like and if you like hte 26 and are accurate with it and enjoy it, I'd stay with it.
BTW, my wife also likes the 26.
Old November 7, 2013, 07:43 AM   #33
Tinner666

I found it. http://www.thebangswitch.com/the-fading-40/

It's an interesting read. I was looking at and thinking of a 40 earlier this week too.
Old November 7, 2013, 09:41 AM   #34
salvadore

I like 1911s also, you should shoot one before buying. I've owned eight or so, all in 45acp. I currently own three. Mostly I'm a revolver guy and the shooters I really like are a S&W-17 and 617 twenty two rimfires, cheap to shoot also. Smith also makes a fancy M-60 .357 with adjustable sights an under barrel web thingy and wooden stocks very purty. Finally the Smith 686 is a very popular .357.
Old November 7, 2013, 08:05 PM   #35
cjwils

If you want to make a big hole with modest recoil, the .44 special, as mentioned by some others, is an excellent choice. Problem is, not many high quality revolvers made specifically in that caliber can be easily found anymore. So my suggestion is to get one of the smaller, lighter .44 magnums and shoot .44 special ammo in it. You could also shoot magnum loads if you choose to, although the recoil can be severe. Start with .44 special loads, and I think you will find the recoil is not bad at all.

As much as I like the .44 special, I should add that ammo can be hard to get these days. Some stores will not have it in stock, and even big on-line places like Midway don't have much selection.

Last edited by cjwils; November 7, 2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: add information
Old November 7, 2013, 09:12 PM   #36
Frank Ettin
Staff

Welcome and congratulations on your new interest in shooting.

Choice of a gun or guns can be very personal subjective. The way to figure out what works for you is to try different guns. See if there's a range near to you that rents guns so that you can experiment some.

Some of the things I've found to be true for me:
  • The .40 seems to me to have a fairly sharp, snappy recoil. I actually find the .45 ACP more manageable, even in a smaller 1911 variant.

• The weight of the gun can have a lot to do with controlability. My larger frame .357 Magnums with full power .357 Magnum ammunition are easier shooting than my light alloy frame snubnose revolvers even with standard .38 Special.

• In a given cartridge, loadings firing a lighter bullet at a higher velocity might feel sharper and snappier than a loading firing a heavier bullet at a somewhat lower velocity. So the later might feel softer even though it has about the same recoil energy.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 10, 2013, 12:32 AM   #37
cgeyser

UPDATE- I went to the gun shop/range this Saturday ( it was busy due to their anniversary sale) I was able to rent after trying a few rounds of the SW Model 29 (.44mag) revolver. I only shot .44spl out of it not magnums unlike I did in the .357 which I shot .38spl and .357 magnums. I absolutely feel in love with that .44 and noticed how 44spl went thru gentle. (then when I shoot my Glock 26 I noticed the flip it gave while the Smith and Wesson was not flip at all (which my mom nicely recorded for me). I did not get to rent out any .45 due to the intense amount of people in their wanting to try guns nor any other brand of .44 mag revolver (this had the 6in barrel) but next week going to go back in and try the 1911 style .45 and the Glock in .45; but so far I love that Smith and Wesson model 29. Bit of a sticker shock as new in stainless steel was going to run $900ish used $700-800. So thats the drawback for me.
Old November 10, 2013, 02:02 PM   #38
9ballbilly

hello and welcome! FWIW I routinely carry a Charter arms bulldog .44spl.
IMO the .44 has enough punch for self-defense and the guns are compact and easy to carry and conceal.
Keep in mind, this is just my opinion and you should try different options and choose what works best for you.
Old November 10, 2013, 03:27 PM   #39
CWKahrFan

cg... It warms my heart that you love the big model 29!
Guns are so personal, it's hard to predict exactly what'll float your boat.
It's so cool that you're experimenting to find what YOU like.

I'd just like to say that popular guns are relatively easy to sell and trade, and they hold their value quite well so there's no stress really. I find that my preferences change over time and that tweaking my little collection now and then (usually through armslist.com) is a big part of my fun of owning guns.

Nothing is set in stone, and quality guns are good investments. So I just enjoy the whole experience, ya' know? If, after a few months or years, I decide I sorta made a little "mistake" in purchasing some gun or if it's just time for a change, it's pretty easy to "fix" down the road... It's all good.
Old November 10, 2013, 08:16 PM   #40
HiBC

First,I'm not going to recommend anything!I believe,given the choice,you can do a better job of picking your gun than I can.

Those 3 in 1911's look cute,and may work well for some,but folks I respect have told me the 1911's shorter than a Commander become less reliable.If you have 3 1911s,well,.maybe one can be a shorty,but If you will have just one,a Commander or Officer(shorter grip,6 rounds)might be good.

You are wise to shoot them till you find "the one".

I do not own a 9mm,but I'll say this.9 mm ammunition has become far more effective as bullet designs have improved.

And,if the point of your handgun is SD,there is a tradeoff between power and controllability....
Is BOOM...BOOM better than bam bam bam bam bam? I cannot answer that for you.

Does anybody shoot steel falling plates or other game near you?Go to a shoot.

Last,know when to say "Enough".I will not try to limit you,but we all have a point where we start hearing footsteps and getting squinty as we squeeze.

That's about the time we start missing a lot.

Have fun!Welcome
Old November 10, 2013, 08:30 PM   #41
jimbob86

Larger caliber, as you have seen with the .44 Special, does not necessrily = more recoil.

Recoil (kick) has more to do with the gun's weight and the weight and velocity of the bullet as it does the diameter of the bullet.
Old November 10, 2013, 09:04 PM   #42
RaySendero

cgeyser,

If you can find/try a CZ-97b.
It's a 45acp with a very different but comfortable feel.
Think if you want a larger pistol, you may like that one.
Old November 11, 2013, 08:52 AM   #43
TimSr

One thing to keep in mind is the bigger the gun, the longer the barrel, the less recoil and muzzle flip you have to deal with when compared to a smaller gun firing the same round. Sometimes a longer barreled revolver can make shooting bigger calibers more tolerable. Many revolver calibers accept a range of ammo that gives you room to grow.

Years ago I taught a (smaller) lady to shoot .44 specials in my 7 1/2" Ruger Redhawk. A dozen rounds later and she was hooked on full power magnum loads, and shot them well. She was later nicknamed "Magnum Smurf".
Old November 11, 2013, 11:39 AM   #44
TailGator

Quote:
I absolutely feel in love with that .44
That is the most important thing that has been written in this thread so far. I think you are wise to be planning to shoot other handguns, but if your mind keeps going back to that .44, that is going to tell you what you should buy next.
Old November 11, 2013, 03:48 PM   #45
aarondhgraham

I'll echo Powderman,,,

I'll echo Powderman,,,
If you want to stay with a 9mm,,,
The CZ-75B is one fine shooting handgun.

And, they be very pretty.

But if you want something with a larger caliber,,,
I'm with all the people who say go to a .45 ACP of some ilk.

Right now 9mm and .45 ACP are the least expensive centerfire ammo you can find,,,
So for pure economics they both make a lot of sense.

But allow me to point you in another direction entirely,,,
Have you considered stepping down to a pistol that shoots .22 rimfire?

I'm not talking about a cheap little Saturday night special,,,
I'm talking about something with high quality,,,
And capable of pinpoint accuracy,,,
All with inexpensive ammo.

Consider a Ruger 22/45 with a 5.5" barrel,,,
Here is a picture of a pair of them in stainless steel.

These pistols have given me and my friends many hours of fun,,,
And the inherent accuracy of these pistols out-of the-box is amazing.

In other words they aren't toys pistols.

Anyways, I just wanted to give you a different viewpoint to consider.

Happy searching,,,

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Tags
female , gun , large caliber , new guy , suggestions