The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 31, 2007, 01:35 PM   #26
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Would it be fair to say that if the police are using a spotlight on the chopper, they already know what their target is and might very well be tailing it with the light? So the chances are the police will already know that you are just on a neighborhood stroll.
This would be a decidely naive thing to believe. How do they know that you are on a stroll and not an accomplice? In fact, just what do you actually know about the situation faced by the cops as you are walking around on your stoll at night, hearing sirens and seeing a helicopter with a search light? Did a car full of bank robbers just t-bone at an intersection a few blocks over and 4 guys jump out and run in different directions? The helicopter can't follow all 4 if they don't stay together. Do you not realize that one of the ways people try to ellude the police in such situations is by trying to act casual, like they are out on an evening stroll? It is an attempt to hide in plain sight.

You really should start making assumptions that on more on the side of self preservation. Assuming the cops will know that you are not a bad guy is not making an assemption that is more on the side of self preservation. Keep in mind that cops even manage to shoot other cops by mistake on occasion and you aren't even a cop.
Old May 31, 2007, 02:33 PM   #27
Doug.38PR

Alright. This is the kind of stuff we need to know.

You don't want to be too casual, but you don't want to overreact to a situation either.

Would it be more accurate to say to say that a police car might drive by, shine a spot or flashlight on you, ask you a question or two and let you go about your business. I've been told by a policeman a few years ago that most of the time, police can determine your intent and fear just by asking you a few questions. They can see pretty quick if you are trying to hide something or are afraid of them.

In short, if there is a problem brewing a block or so over, you don't necessarily have to expect three cop cars to pull up surrounding you with guns aimed and slamming you up against the car for a search
Old June 1, 2007, 04:09 PM   #28
markj

Quote:
no unkempt neighbors
Um that'd be me alright tee shirt no sleeves and hiking shorts most days. We do sit on the martha stewarts up on the deck. I have a few old cars and trucks I am tearing up for parts, 3 motorcycles and my pack of dogs and some feeder steers yum

Years ago I had a loud motorcycle, was in town running around before heading home ward. A cop pulled me over and checked me out, he told me a biker had done something and they were looking for him. We both heard a kawasaki open header a few blocks over tearing it up, off he went ofter that one as long as you are not doing the bad stuff they ask you a few questions then off you go so just always do what is right and you will be OK in every situation. (Taught to me by my Dad, he said when you is right you is right, when you is wrong it never is right).
Old June 1, 2007, 11:05 PM   #29
kgpcr

Man you guys worry about the strangest crap, worry more about your seatbelt being on and your cholesterol and you will live longer. If a martian lands in his space ship and comes over to make contact with me should i shoot the little prick or show him my CCW?
Smith M&P 40
Old June 1, 2007, 11:20 PM   #30
Bruxley

A MARTIAN !!! WEEEEELLLLL.......
First thing is find some cover.......break out some foil...I carry some folded up in my bug out bag.......call 911 and put foil on head to avoid poss. mind control from Martian (Happened once, read it on a thread, don't remember where)

From COVER, present and let him know you are armed and the police are on thier way. If he whips out a ray guy...DROP his ass. 2 to the chest, one to the head. If the unlicenced aircraft trys to take off.....DO NOT PURSUIT....get a digital pic w/ your cell phone and be a good witness.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Old June 2, 2007, 12:00 AM   #31
Sarge

The Martian comment reminds me of a conversation that developed during a 'small engines' class I took in high school. The teacher (affectionately dubbed 'Joey Squirrel') was something of a sci-fi buff, and it was a slow day in the shop; so Joey asks what we'd do if a flyin' saucer landed on our place- and the aliens disembarked & approached. I think Joey was really trying to test our tolerance for cultures beyond our own frame of reference.

Carl, a big Junior Samples clone if there ever was one, says "I'd shoot 'em with my thutty-thutty" Joey sez "Carl, your bullets might just bounce off of them. Then they'd be mad."

Carl paused, hooked a thumb in the galluses of his bibs & says "Mebbe so, but they'd shore be hammerin' dents outta their asses for a good long while." We cracked up.

That night I took my speckled 94 Winchester down off the rack, looked out at the starlit sky- and just couldn't help but smile.

Last edited by Sarge; June 2, 2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: sp
Old June 2, 2007, 01:09 AM   #32
Thunderhawk88

Quote:
...DROP his ass. 2 to the chest, one to the head.
The left or right head?