The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2013, 10:47 AM   #26
themalicious0ne

I would highly recommend the CZ 75 if it felt comfortable in your hands. They are full steel as well and will absorb more recoil than your like size polymers. I worked armed security at one point in time with my CZ 75B. Your only drawback is finding the propper holster and mag pouches. Mag pouches are pretty easy to fit a standard CZ mag into, if you find nice universal ones. Holsters are another issue completely. They are harder to find. I needed one within a couple weeks to when I started working and all the police supply stores and gun shops had no such CZ holsters and one police supply store said it would take 2 months for one to be transfered to the shop. On top of that, depending on your employer, you may need leather, polymer or even weave type holsters. Also your holster condition level may come into question. All these things will make a holster much more difficult to find.

All this being said, from what you descibe as your "limitations" if you will if the CZ is comfortable, you really cannot find better for what you are describing. You just need to do some research on the duty gear. If you can match it up, a CZ 75 would be my recommendation. I personally lucked out and found a really nice Safariland duty holster (in my oppinion the best) for a Sig Sauer p226 that when loosened enough fit my CZ very comfortably and worked perfectly. All else fails, it will do the job.

Best of luck
Old February 19, 2013, 04:11 PM   #27
ClydeFrog

armed security...

For armed security & protection, I would suggest a DA only sidearm. For regular uniformed carry, a sidearm with a ambi safety is good for weapon retention/officer safety. The new FNH FNS line(.40 & 9x19mm) is good.

I don't care for semi auto pistols with slide mounted Walther type safety controls. Frame mounted are better.
As a instructor, I'd encourage new class students to get DA only models or pistols like the FNS too.
Old February 20, 2013, 07:51 AM   #28
Chesster

It is going to be hard to beat a G19. I have a trio of 2nd generation 19s and find it to be an excellent choice for self defense.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 20, 2013, 08:25 AM   #29
Yung.gunr

XDm 9 because of the interchangable backstraps. Either subcompact or normal service size. Real nice guns.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:23 AM   #30
dayman

If the G19 feels good in your hands I'd get the that - you could also try the G17 and see if the added weight helps.
I'm not Glock fan-boy (I don't even own one), but Glocks definitely have a unique grip, and so if the Glock feels good in your hands I'd try to stick with that.

Making your arms stronger is generally easier than finding a gun that feels good in the hand. Also, I'd think being stronger would be advantageous across the board for your profession.
If it's recoil that's fatiguing you - rather than holding the gun at arms length - it's probably your forearms that need strengthening. You could get one of those spring grippy things and work your forearms when you have down time. You can also get a ball of beeswax and work that with your hands.
If it's the holing a heavier gun (a loaded g19 is going to be heavier than most .22 pistols) at arms length, I'd agree with the pushups.

You said that it's okay for the first couple shots, so you're most of the way there. A few pushups before breakfast, and some forearm work in the car on your way to work, and you'll probably be all set.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:05 AM   #31
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
I know you said 9mm+ but don't forget the .380 ACP.
.380 and "duty weapon" should not be in the same sentence.

OP, you are not going to find a softer shooting, duty caliber then the 9mm. It sounds like you need a training course and alot more time on the range to build up endurance. The Glock 19 would be a fine choice or the full-size G17. The S&W M&P would also be a good choice. These two guns make up a large percentage of LEO duty weapons. The Walther PPQ would be another gun similar to the Glock and S&W; the PPQ's are well known for their excellent out of the box trigger. The Sig 226 and 229 are also widely used but the DA/SA is not as simplistic as a striker fired type guns DAO (Glock/S&W). Sig has their DAK style trigger but I've never been too fond of it; you would have to try it for yourself and make your own determination. The Beretta 92 is another good gun but has a DA/SA type trigger and controls that are not as simplistic as the Glock or S&W. Personally, I'd stay away from the XD line for a service weapon due to the need to depress the grip safety to rack the slide. That is a no go for me.

Good luck with your choice and above all get training and shoot the crap out of it when you get it. A second identical gun would be a wise purchase for use as a training gun and a backup gun incase your duty gun needs work and is put out of service. Two is one, one is none.

Last edited by TacticalDefense1911; February 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:17 PM   #32
LockedBreech

If the CZ-75 fits your hands like you said it does, I think that's your option. Bit of extra weight to offset recoil.

I also second the motion of some toning/bulk work on your arms at the gym to mitigate fatigue.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:48 PM   #33
donglock26

I'd get a M&P 9mm. The small grip shell is very small and it has low recoil since it was designed as a .40 s&w.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:50 PM   #34
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

When I teach classes for women and about half of them fall in the small hands category I suggest two things before they even start shooting seriously. A good pair of hiking boots and lots of miles and a rubber ball or a fitted rubber squeezer, ask any physical therapist for suggestions. They can be anything from rubber balls to tubes to the old fashioned pair of handles attached to a wire spring. I'm built like a gorilla and I have been using them for 50 years.

Watching TV, doing some speed walking, sitting in traffic, reading the paper or cruising the net, it all adds up and hands and forearms will get hard. If I haven't been doing them for awhile I start slow, 5 hard squeezes with each hand and after a few days up it to 7, to 10 to 15 till finally you are able to do 100 with each hand. as long as the grip of the gun fits you you will not be getting shot fatigue after a single magazine.

Glock 19 was mentioned, I have a few family members who never hit that 5' mark but it fits them. Beretta 92 is another. Grip size is not critical for you, reach from the back of the grip to the trigger is. If the gun fits and you are in shape it won't matter if you shoot the 9MM or the 40 cal.

Just dos centavos from a dinosaur.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 20, 2013, 01:02 PM   #35
HKGuns

What are your department rules? Aren't you limited?

If not, I would look at two options, both with backstraps that can be changed. S&W M&P 9 or 9c and HK P30. The P30 has 3 different sized back and side straps which makes it quite adaptable for a person with smaller hands.

Whatever you choose, make sure you handle and shoot before purchasing.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:39 AM   #36

I think the advise for a m&p in 9mm is sound. I own several pistols in poly and steel, my wife can control the m&p the best by far. Have someone Stipple the grip for you.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:01 AM   #37
elDiabloLoco

Everything Old Grump said. Leave a few laying around in places where idle time occurs, the car, in front of TV, kitchen table, !bathroom!.... A month or so of that will help both with the fatigue and your perception of the recoil. (Had to hide them from the dog, she loved them. )

The P95 is a good value. With my own very small hands, it is not the most comfortable choice. Adding a Hogue handall grip to it made it even fatter, but also easier to grip firmly. Without the hogue grip it was not comfortable, mostly because it felt "slippery" rather than its too-large size. (google "Hogue handall", it is a rubber sleeve that slides over the hand grip.)

The best "fit" I have found for my small hand so far has been the Walther PPQ. The pricing on the PPQ is high, but I'm looking forward to trying out their new PPX. The pricing on the new PPX is supposed to be in the $400 range. Not sure either of those would qualify as a duty gun.

If you have a reliable gun store nearby, you might also consider a used S&W 6906. That is comparable in price to a new P95. The 6906 grip is a lot more comfortable to my small hand. There are currently a lot of LEO S&W trade-ins on the used market, and probably lots in service still. Its spring is a bit stiffer than the P95, and a bit more difficult to rack the slide. A good gun store that handles used guns will find you a good condition gun. They may even have several in the store, they seem to be plentiful right now. In good condition it is a really good value buy, high quality and reliable. (Has a magazine safety, will not fire without the magazine in place.)

Maybe find a range that rents pistols so you can get a hands-on opinion? Start with the ones that grip best.

Sooner or later one manufacturer will realize you ladies are the fastest growing segment of their potential future market$, and introduce a line with ergonomics designed specifically for the target. Almost there, but not quite there yet.

Good luck!
Old February 22, 2013, 08:59 PM   #38
kraigwy

Quote:
One of the basic rules of modern gun fighting is to USE ENOUGH GUN

A small gun you can shoot beats a big gun you can't, every time.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 22, 2013, 09:22 PM   #39
ClydeFrog

Yes & no....

That's true to a point but a new gun owner or sworn LE officer can train to carry larger caliber sidearms.
The large metro sheriff's office in my area has approx 1200 sworn deputies.
They have issued the factory stock Glock 21 .45acp since 2002. Some detectives & undercover deputies carry Glock 22s, 19, 36s, 30s, 26s, etc but none use small calibers(.25acp, .380acp, .22LR, etc).
Marksmanship is a skill & can be learned using proper methods.

Clyde
Old February 22, 2013, 11:01 PM   #40
jad0110

Quote:
I would highly recommend the CZ 75 if it felt comfortable in your hands.
I agree. My CZ-75B in 9mm is noticably softer shooting than either a Sprinfield XD, Glock 17 or 19. Very, very mild recoil. If you like how the CZ feels, you might also look at the Sig P226 in 9mm. I believe they are all steel as well, I'm not up on Sigs.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:01 AM   #41
tomrkba

Some alternatives:

SIG P239
SIG SP2022
Kahr T9 or T40
Beretta PX4
HK P30
HK USP Compact
HK P2000
Springfield XD
S&W M&P 9 or 40
Old February 23, 2013, 01:10 AM   #42
BuckRub

If you can't make a simple decision on a firearm to carry do you believe you're cut out for a LEO? They have to make many split decisions on many things every call or traffic stop. Good luck to you if that's the route you choose.
Old February 23, 2013, 03:31 AM   #43
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by themalicious0ne
I would highly recommend the CZ 75 if it felt comfortable in your hands. They are full steel as well and will absorb more recoil than your like size polymers. I worked armed security at one point in time with my CZ 75B. Your only drawback is finding the propper holster and mag pouches. Mag pouches are pretty easy to fit a standard CZ mag into, if you find nice universal ones. Holsters are another issue completely. They are harder to find. I needed one within a couple weeks to when I started working and all the police supply stores and gun shops had no such CZ holsters and one police supply store said it would take 2 months for one to be transfered to the shop. On top of that, depending on your employer, you may need leather, polymer or even weave type holsters. Also your holster condition level may come into question. All these things will make a holster much more difficult to find.

All this being said, from what you descibe as your "limitations" if you will if the CZ is comfortable, you really cannot find better for what you are describing. You just need to do some research on the duty gear. If you can match it up, a CZ 75 would be my recommendation. I personally lucked out and found a really nice Safariland duty holster (in my oppinion the best) for a Sig Sauer p226 that when loosened enough fit my CZ very comfortably and worked perfectly. All else fails, it will do the job.

Best of luck
I carry a CZ-75BD both OC and CC. For OC, I use a leather pancake holster from Barsony Leatherworks. For CC, I use an Old Faithful IWB. Both have served me well. As malicious stated, while there isn't much duty wear made for it, you can often use holsters made for other similar makes (many of the Beretta 92 stuff can be used with CZ's but you have to try it first).
Old February 23, 2013, 03:39 AM   #44
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRub
If you can't make a simple decision on a firearm to carry do you believe you're cut out for a LEO? They have to make many split decisions on many things every call or traffic stop. Good luck to you if that's the route you choose.
Sometimes when commenting on a post, it helps to read the prior posts, especially from the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defscarlett View Post
Thanks for the replies so far I really appreciate the assistance. I'm definitely in shape overall I knock out 100 push-ups daily etc and being prior military have a good fitness mentality are their specific exercises that I need to be doing to strengthen these specific muscles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by defscarlett View Post
Armed security and I'll also be teaching firearms and tactic classes. Of course to learn some of this stuff I have several classes that my job is sending me to, to learn.
Further, choosing a duty weapon is no "simple' decision if one does not have experience with multiple firearms. Let the lady get her information, do her research, and make an informed decision before you start bashing her.

Reading and research do prevent people from making themselves look bad. Just FYI.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:30 AM   #45
Chesster

Quote:
Sometimes when commenting on a post, it helps to read the prior posts, especially from the OP.
I know that's right.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 23, 2013, 05:45 AM   #46
ClydeFrog

forum member posts...

Buck's remarks are a tad harsh.
New gun owners & new shooting sports forum members will pop up now that the interest in weapons & tactics is expanding.
Not every person is a "bullet-head" or aware of every round, tool, gun, holster, etc.

Clyde
Old February 28, 2013, 09:12 AM   #47
Daytona TTA

Out of all the choices or alternatives that were listed and they all are good ones, but one was left out and although it isn't made anymore it can still be found.

When I was with the Sheriff's Dept I went through several selections in the first year or so and then stumbled onto the Beretta Vertec 96 in 40 cal stainless finish. I was in love with this weapon the first time I put it in my hands.

The grip is thinner and offers a flat backstrap like the 1911 instead of contoured like the other 92/96 frames. It has a factory light rail and the barrel is a touch over 4" and cut flush with the muzzle. The trigger is closer to the grip giving a short reach and is very balanced and a joy to shoot. It comes in 9mm and 40 cal but like I said,,,Beretta doesn't make this anymore. It's a shame too because this is a fantastic piece of equipment.

What ever you decide,,comfort is the most important thing.
Old February 28, 2013, 01:05 PM   #48
Sgt127

Sig P239 DAK.
Sig 225 (P6) Out of production, but fairly easy to find
Kahr K9.
Kahr T9

7-8 shots in a gun you can hold onto and control beats 15 rounds that you can't get your hand around. Also, if your hands are that small and or weak, you really need to think about if you can hold onto that gun if someone tries to disarm you. Skinny single stack grip frame will give you alot more purchase than a Glock.

Buy a couple of these and use them. I used them all the time when I shot competition. They are awesome. You will look like Popeye in a few weeks.

http://www.firstoptionmedical.com/Dy...map=75398-0001

For home, get a two foot piece of PVC pipe. Drill a hole in it. Hold it out at chin height and measure how far it is from the ground. Cut a piece of P cord, or other strong line and thread it through the hole. Tie a 2 1/2 pund weight...or 5 pound...to the other end. With your arms straight out in front of you, roll up the string by using the PVC pipe. Reverse, and lower the weight. No freewheeling it down. Do that to failure a few times every other day. Your hands, forearms and wrists will develop very quickly. You can't make your hands bigger, but, you can certainly make them stronger.

Last edited by Sgt127; February 28, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old February 28, 2013, 02:41 PM   #49
Tactical Jackalope

For what you've said? Definitely a SIG P226 or P229 in 9mm
Old March 2, 2013, 05:05 PM   #50
BuckRub

Op you're gonna be teaching a firearms class but you're asking what kind of firearm to buy? Yea, I'm gonna enroll in your class. Lol