The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 17, 2012, 05:01 PM   #1
kingfisher

AR-15 gas block question

After reading quite a bit about this, I have settled on a clamp-on, adjustable gas block with a flip-up front sight. I have my reasons for wanting those 3 features. However, no such object exists. I have a fully functional shop and a lot of metalworking know-how. This is my question:

Should I:
A. Buy an adjustable gas block with a rail on top and attach a flip-up sight

No smithing required...minor benefit
Can choose virtually any sight tower configuration, and change it later if I like...benefit
Sloppy connection between barrel and sight tower??? i dont know if that is true or not, but it seems less firm than an integrated sight would be...major potential disadvantage.

or

B. Buy a gasblock with an integral flip-up sight and install an adjusting screw (I would probably buy a PRI or a VLTOR, possibly a YHM).

So is a rail-mounted sight less reliable than an integrated sight?

Is there enough room in the GBs with integrated sights for me to install a adjusting screw? I dont know anyone that has one.

Are there other questions I should be asking here?

Any and all feedback or responses welcome!
Old July 17, 2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Scorpion8

Go with (a). The rail mounted front sight is only as "unreliable" as you make the connections, be they clamp-on or Picatinny. There are lots of options for front gas blocks with rails on top, and there is no "sloppy connection" if you do your work correctly.
Old July 17, 2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Creeper

FU-BUS are so cheap these days, you can have one on the gun and a back-up for your back-up in your pocket.
You wank the (presumed metal) one that's integral to the gas block... it's wanked, unless you have an FU-BUS on the rail too.

One of these days, someone is going to post a photo of a floating rail AR with about 15 sets of BUS installed... some on top, some offset, hell even a few on the bottom just for fun.

Cheers,
C
Old July 24, 2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Caliber

why not just bury the gas block and mount your front sight on a full length rail? like this: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...IMG_0935-1.jpg
Old July 24, 2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Caliber

ifnot option A is the way to go, if you ever damage the front sight "doubtful" just change the sight rather than having to pull off the gas block. YHM makes a good well priced flip-up
Old July 25, 2012, 02:35 AM   #6
10-96

I don't know if I'm missing something, or what, but it seemed to me the obvious solution would be an adjustable gas tube and something like the YHM flip up sight.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/297...gas-tube-ar-15

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.