The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 22, 2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Freeman45

Anyone use POSP scopes?

I've read a few mixed reviews about these scopes and can't decide if I want one or not. If you've owned a russian Posp, can you please post up your thoughts on the scope and maybe answer a few questions...

picture clear or foggy ?

holds zero?

any problems?

would you buy another?

thank you
Old September 23, 2010, 06:24 AM   #2
alloy

I would think it's repeatablility would be determined by how solid the mount is on the rifle.
Have a China version, but the mount is machined into the reciever.
Works well, very odd watching the reticle move when you turn the knobs.
Graduated in meters so I'm at a loss but I have a few settings of my own memorized and they work fine as long as I range tin cans in yardage and then extrapolate the corresponding number of egg rolls to adjust my turrets.
The reticle is never centered like typical scopes you might be used to.
It's clear enough, hopefully never need to buy another.....but would be forced to if this one broke....cause there is no other mounting option.
Old September 24, 2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Crosshair

I LOVE the POSP scope series. All mine are from Belarus. A weaver mount 6x42, AK side rail 4x24, 6x42, and 8x42.

Quote:
picture clear or foggy ?
Crystal Clear. All mine are fixed power though. No experience with the variables. No distortions around the edge of the picture. It's like you're looking through a window.

Quote:
holds zero?
Heck yea. Shoots the square just fine.

Quote:
any problems?
My only gripe is that they have the built in mounts. I would love one that took standard 1" rings. Either that or someone make a scope with the POSP reticle.

Quote:
would you buy another?
Yup.

$1,500 suppressed Ruger 77/44 and my first pick of scope was a POSP. Bit of a PITA to mount on a Ruger, but SOOOOO worth it.

Old September 24, 2010, 08:27 AM   #4
alloy

Have you seen a side mount red dot in person?

http://www.posp.ru/pks01.html
Old September 24, 2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Crosshair

Quote:
Have you seen a side mount red dot in person?
Nope, never have.
Old September 24, 2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Freeman45

Alright crosshair, thats what I like to hear! I was having my doubts until I read your responce.

I plan to mount one on my cz 858, (kinda like an ak, same caliber), which magnification do you recommend? I was thinking of picking up the 6x42 for the 200 yard cans, and if there is enough room under the scope, using my irons for the closer targets.

bad idea? good idea?
Old September 28, 2010, 01:33 AM   #7
bamaranger

POSP 8x

Got an 8x on a PSL/SSG-97. Once I sorted out the siderail mount issues, (tension adjustment and loose screws) it's been OK. Windage adjustments are coarse, but repeatable elevation has been great w/ about 500 rds fired.

Mine is a Belarus, w/ 3V illumination and 1200 yd choke range finder.

They do make a weaver compatible model as shown in crosshairs photos, in addition to the side mount.

Tossed the goofy accordion style eyepiece and factory front dangle lens cover for a set of Butler Creeks.

The illum feature is neat and I find myself hauling the PSL to shooting houses for afternoon/evening hunts to take advantage of the feature, and for the novelty.
Old September 28, 2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Crosshair

Quote:
I plan to mount one on my cz 858, (kinda like an ak, same caliber), which magnification do you recommend? I was thinking of picking up the 6x42 for the 200 yard cans, and if there is enough room under the scope, using my irons for the closer targets.
On my Saiga 7.62x39 with the 6x42 scope you can use the open sights, but your FOV is quite limited as the scope almost blocks the sights. For my .223 Saiga I went with the 4x24 and using the open sights is not a problem. I didn't double check and wound up buying a scope without the multi-chevron reticle on the 4x24, but the scope is still good and I like the compact nature. My .223 is more of a shot range carbine anyway so it's not an issue. The 7.62x39 is more of a designated marksman setup with the 20" barrel while the .223 has a 16".

If you want a 42mm scope then the 6x would probably be the one to get as it lets you reach out relatively well while still not hampering you too much at close range. My 8x is on my .308 Saiga so that is oriented to longer range shooting.

When you say "200 yard cans" I am assuming you aren't talking pop cans?