The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 18, 2001, 01:55 AM   #1
Doctari

Howdy,

I have been hunting for an action for a rifle project and had some questions. I have a barrel chambered in 7x57, threaded for a small ring mauser. I also have a stock for a mauser 93,95,96. I was just about to break down and buy the carbine length sweede(m38 or some such), but then I noticed that the 6.5x55 has a different case head size than the 7x57.

Will this be a major job to convert the bolt to chamber 7x57? Would it be better to just keep looking for a small ring mauser action that was originally chambered in 7x57?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Mike
Old February 18, 2001, 02:29 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Doctari,

More knowledgeable heads may disagree, but a Swede action that's in good shape may be okay, dimension-wise. The 6.5x55 rim is nominally .003 larger in diameter than the 7x57. That can't be a problem. The rim, however is .010 thicker. That might be a problem for the extractor, but I think it's worth a try. Any work required should be minimal.
Old February 18, 2001, 01:51 PM   #3
wildcat

The Turk 38 actions are threaded for the small ring barrel and they are cheap and available. The original chambering is 8mm so the bolt face will fit your 7x57. I am not sure what the barrel shank length is if no one else comes up with this info I will measure one of mine for you.A added benefit is that they are large ring 98s so you can load the 7x57 to it's full potental.You can use the $100 you save by buying the turk instead of the sweede to by a stock for the 98 action then you can sell your 95 stock on Ebay. If you get lucky you may get enough fo it to pay for the turk.The turks usually come with a bayonet sling and cartrige pouch. These items and the barrel and stock that you remove can also be sold, you may get $25 or so for them on Ebay, Auction Arms, or gunbroker. If are married I advise you spend this money on her and make sure she knows you are spending gun money.

[Edited by wildcat on 02-18-2001 at 02:48 PM]
Old February 18, 2001, 03:33 PM   #4
Bud Helms

'Sounds like a plan.
Old February 18, 2001, 09:36 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know which rifle the 7mm barrel is for, but the 1898 barrel breeches up differently from the earlier ones, so this is not a DIY project unless you have equipment and tools. I have no idea why you would not just buy a Swede in 6.5 and use it. It is as good as the 7mm. IMHO, it is not worth spending a lot of time, effort and money just to try and use that 7mm barrel.

Jim
Old February 18, 2001, 09:41 PM   #6
Joe Portale

The extractor on the Swede and Turk are a little bit different. But the differences are not unsurmountable. If you do have trouble with the extractor, simply adjust it. That .010 will not amount to a whole heck of alot. The biggest problem will be making sure that the claw doesn't jump over the rim and scrap the heck out of your cases.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old February 20, 2001, 06:57 AM   #7
Dangus

Keep in mind that the swede action cocks on the close, so it feels very different than the 8mm actions...
Old February 20, 2001, 11:02 PM   #8
Doctari

Hi Wildcat thanks for the info!!

Jim I agree that it is getting to be a good bit more complicated than I hoped for. Maybe I will just sit back and wait for a cheap small ring action to show up somewhere. I was hoping to get an action in the 60-100 dollar range. But I just dont seem to be finding them anywhere I am looking.

When you say "It breeches up differently." I assume you mean the bolt face and locking lugs mate with the barrel differently between the 95 and the 98?

I have my copy of the mauser bible on the way from our pal Ludwig. So hopefully I will be less stupid about these things shortly!!

Thanks, Mike
Old February 21, 2001, 05:26 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Mauser 98 has an internal collar that the barrel sets up against. This actually makes rebarrelling easier, but trying to put on another type of barrel takes a fair amount of machine work.

Jim