The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 4, 2016, 02:07 AM   #1
taylorce1

I'm kind of excited about this one!

Howa introduced its new Mini action in 2015 and I thought it was pretty nice though they are rare right now. For 2016 Howa has decided to bring out the 6.5 Grendel in the mini action. The Grendel has always interested me, but I never wanted it in an AR. So my only option was to get a CZ or Zastava and rebarrel, but that was a back burner project of many down the road. Anyway this rifle is supposed to be hitting shelves mid 2016, but I probably won't be able to get one by then and will have to wait a while. However, a nice mid range 6.5mm would be a lot of fun.
Old February 4, 2016, 10:11 AM   #2
alex0535

Be pretty sweet. I've thought it would be a more ideal micro length cartridge than 223 for deer or hog sized game.
Old February 4, 2016, 11:05 AM   #3
taylorce1

.223 with the right bullets is a deer killer for sure, and I've let my daughter use it several times on them. However, I still believe that bigger is better when it can be used effectively. I'm having a hard time though as I'd like to try this cartridge and the Creedmoor, but my daughter could shoot this one better I think.
Old February 4, 2016, 01:18 PM   #4
ballisti

It is hard to count all of the ways that the Howa is superior to the CZ and the Zastava...

Just for starters though, you can work the bolt with your hand, instead of having to pinch the bolt knob between your thumb and fore-finger.

The 6.5 Grendel is interesting - but I am more interested in the .222 Remington in the Howa. - I intend to own one of those with the heavy barrel option.
Old February 5, 2016, 10:33 AM   #5
mike7.62

"It is hard to count all of the ways that the Howa is superior to the CZ"

Apparently so, considering It's Not.