The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 3, 2011, 02:47 PM   #1
SuperThor

Winchester 1873 attic find, got questions

Hi

So, while cleaning my grandfather's attic recently we found a winchester 1873 that belonged to my great grandfather. The gun was smuggled here (here means Norway BTW) during WW1 and used in the resistance.

Now, I've identified it as a 2nd or 3rd version winchester 1873 carbine in 44-40. It's in pretty bad shape, the outside is rusty but seems to have been oiled so it might clean up. Looking in the ejector hole the insides look worse, could be better than it looks or could be worse, I'll be looking in to it when i get the time. All the external moving parts can be moved, but i have not tried to cycle or cock it to be sure not to damage anything.

Anyone know what something like this might be worth, and if it could be possible to restore it? I know the info is a bit thin, pictures will come but i need to find the camera cable and take some. Any tips as to what should be done with it to preserve, and maybe save, it are greatly welcome, and stuff we can do ourselves is even better.

Thanks a lot in advace
Thor
Old July 3, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2
salvadore

Who was Norway resisting during WW1?
Old July 3, 2011, 05:46 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

That is very cool,,,

Even if it doesn't clean up as a shooter,,,
It's worth a lot in sentimental value as an heirloom.

Make a case for it,,,
Hang it up and display it on your wall,,,
Document the history of the rifle as well as you can discover.

It will be like a suit of armor in an old British mansion.

It wouldn't matter what the gun was,,,
I would love to have a family heirloom like yours.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 3, 2011, 06:26 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Winchester 73's have a very wide price range, depending on the variation and, as always, the condition. In general, the .44-40 carbine will bring the higest price of the common guns, all else being equal. I have no idea what the value would be in Norway. Some good pictures would certainly help.

Just be careful if you choose to clean it that you don't remove any of the original finish or even a patina. Full restoration is possible, but fairly expensive in the U.S.; again, I don't know the situation in Norway.

Jim
Old July 3, 2011, 06:27 PM   #5
SuperThor

Salvadore: yeah, i know it doesn't add up, he might have been a sailor or something, i really don't know but I'm working on it. Wat's certain is that it was smuggled here from some relatives in the US during WW1. He was in the resistance in WW2, might be some confusion there.

aarondhgraham: I wish i could put it on a wall but that could put me in jail Together with one of my other great grandfather's service pistol (1909 swiss luger in good shooting condition) and his swords I've got a nice family "service record" Makes me sad they'll both have to live in a safe.

I know what you mean about the sentimental value, these are never going to be sold!
Old July 3, 2011, 06:45 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...during WW1..." Norway was neutral in W.W. I. That doesn't mean it couldn't have been used by the Resistance during W.W. II though.
I'd almost bet it was there before W.W.I. Winchester's had a habit of appearing everywhere.
You might be able to get more info from the Cody Museum.
http://www.bbhc.org/firearms/records/
A rusted rifle won't be worth much, but I wouldn't do anything to it until you talk to them.
Old July 4, 2011, 04:56 PM   #7
SuperThor

A little more info. Seems i was wrong, it's not a carbine but a sportsman model. The serial is very hard to read, had to take a pic with flash to make any kind of sense and still got very little as there is a big dried stain of some glue or something partially covering it. Serial number seems to start with a 4, then a there is a 9, then a space (nothing i can see there anyways) then there migh be two numbers very close together with the first being not readable (could be a scratch) and second being partially readable, then two more partially readable. So it looks like it is a 49xxxx series, anyone got more info based on that?

Also, it is now kept company in the corner by an old enemy, we found a ww2 Mauser in the attic today! The Mauser is very badly rusted and missing parts after it spent 15 years in a river. It was brought up by my dad when he was a kid. Thing is, he did not find it by accident as he was diving at the spot were his grandfather, the one who owned the winchester, blew up the track under a German troop train during the war. Kinda cool to have two guns that different yet tied that close together!

I'll have the pic's up in a few days, need to source a new cable for the camera first.

Edit: judging by the flash pic's the wood on the winchester seems to be in pretty good condition under all the dust and crap
Old July 4, 2011, 06:33 PM   #8
Jim Watson

I have not heard of a "sportsman" model Winchester 1873.
There is a Sporting Model 1885 Single shot but I do not see the term used on repeaters.
Pictures are getting even more important.
Old July 5, 2011, 04:47 AM   #9
SuperThor

According to this its the sporting rifle, it has the metal cap on the forearm and 24" barrel.
Old July 5, 2011, 06:12 AM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I recently saw a reference to some super magic rust remover stuff that's supposed to be safe for soaking rusted parts (and guns) in the remove the rust without affecting the solid metal underneath. It sounds like that's what you need. I'll see if I can find the reference. It was probably on this forum -- if not, then it would probably have been the forum at www.m1911.org
Old July 9, 2011, 09:42 PM   #11
bbqncigars

Anything that I've seen that will remove rust, will remove any bluing as well. I'd start with steel wool and CLP and see how it goes.
Old July 9, 2011, 10:08 PM   #12
Buzzcook

There is another Norwegian that posts to the forum. He hunts and owns guns.

0000grit steel wool and light oil for surface rust. a bronze brush and light oil for internal rust.
If you do his yourself it'll be a good idea to take the gun all the way down and clean each part separately.

Probably not a good idea to advertise that you are breaking the law.
Old July 10, 2011, 02:04 PM   #13
SuperThor

So here are some pic's. We've desided not to clean it til we are sure of the correct procedure or can find a gunsmith to do it.

The whole thing, as it was found:

As for the serial number i'm really stuggeling to desifer it, anyone have a good pic of what one should look like, a drawing of the font or something similar it would be a great help in finding what is numbers and what is random scratches or other things.
Old July 11, 2011, 07:11 AM   #14
shutrbkr

WOW, I would love to hear if that rifle could talk!!!!!
Old July 11, 2011, 07:23 AM   #15
Hawg

I'd submerge the action in a bucket of kerosene for a month or two. That will free up the action. I dug up this 92 Winchester a few years ago. It was completely frozen. Two months in a kerosene bath freed it up.