The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 23, 2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Keltyke

Where to practice?

Most public ranges won't let you "draw from a holster" or practice "rapid fire" at "multiple targets". Where do you guys go to get tactical practice?
Old June 23, 2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Threefeathers

I have to go to an old shooting range near Bisbee AZ. It is near a dump but has a mountain as a back stop.
Old June 23, 2008, 04:45 PM   #3
hoytinak

Good a reason as any to buy some land and setup your own private range.
Old June 23, 2008, 06:57 PM   #4
tony pasley

I know of several up the mountian in North Carolina.
Old June 23, 2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Avenger11

Join the armed forces!! For the VAST majority of us, such training will NEVER be necessary for home defense. There is a VERY good reason most ranges don't allow this nonsense= Someone could get hurt or killed!
Old June 24, 2008, 07:31 AM   #6
Keltyke

Quote:
Join the armed forces!!

For the VAST majority of us, such training will NEVER be necessary for home defense.

There is a VERY good reason most ranges don't allow this nonsense= Someone could get hurt or killed!
I'd rather not, thank you. I'm 54 and I don't think they'd take me.

But it may be necessary one day on the street.

So, knowing how to properly handle and deploy your weapon safely is nonsense? You'd rather someone carry with absolutely NO training beyond shooting at single, stationary targets on an organized, well lighted range. I don't think so, scooter. If I DO ever have to pull my piece, I want to KNOW how and what to do.
Old June 24, 2008, 07:54 AM   #7
bds32

If you can find a friend with some land in the country, that would be ideal. The next thing would be to find and join a shooting club. As a member, you should be able to do the things you want to do within reason. This also might open you up to IDPA matches which would give you practice for the real deal. Other than that, you'll have to practice your draw in the house or garage. You could also set up a couple of paper targets at home and do your dry fire practice working multiples. It's easier with a revolver.
Old July 13, 2008, 07:40 PM   #8
.351winchester

Got the same problem

Parents used to live on 10 acres, took it for granted. I do have an indoor rifle range available but like you said, can't really do your own thing there. I used to see people plink on state land all the time, in the same areas with perforated road signs, but don't want to risk my babies getting hauled off by some DNR officer.

Maybe for now you'll have to make due with following the rules at the range for firing practice and other live stuff like immediate action drill. At home put in the snap caps and do your 'fast draws', BUG draws, mag changes, scenario practice clearing your house, etc.
When you find a place to be your own shooter, then you can do the action stuff. Get some poppers, and paper BG targets with a stand. Shoot your rifle from all positions. With your carry peice, practice the speed rock, off your back, multiple targets, primary to handgun transition. Vehicle related shooting (be careful here, not always legal even on your own property), getting out, drawing and firing while seated. All that stuff could at least show you something you never thought of, buy you time later that could save you.
Old July 13, 2008, 10:04 PM   #9
Sigma 40 Blaster

You can practice your draw in your own home, you already know what happens when the trigger gets pulled. Buy some snap caps, unload your gun, load the snap caps, identify a safe area where you won't likely kill someone if you do screw up and work on it.

Put a small target up on the wall or "shoot" at a light switch or something. Just focus on the draw to first shot. Pay attention to when you put your finger on the trigger and where the muzzle is at all times, especially when re-holstering. Everything else will take care of itself.

FWIW I belong to an outdoor range that permits drawing from a holster. From a strong side IWB or OWB holster someone with good trigger discipline is far safer than the average dummy who racks the slide of a semi-auto with the muzzle pointed straight to the right.

If you want to practice drawing, reloading, moving with a loaded firearm find your local IDPA or IPSC club. If there's not one start one.
Old July 14, 2008, 05:32 PM   #10
starshooter231

I am fortunate enough to belong to a range where I can practice pretty much whatever tactics I wish as long as I am safe.
Old July 14, 2008, 06:24 PM   #11
jabineer

Right cheer...

http://www.pmrpc.com/air.html
Old July 14, 2008, 07:04 PM   #12
chris in va

You can actually do about 75% of that just in your living room, sans ammo.
Old July 14, 2008, 07:19 PM   #13
redhart

shooting practice

I just got into IPSC and its fun,look into it.
Old July 14, 2008, 08:31 PM   #14
Glenn E. Meyer

1. Find some tactical class in the area to get instruction on draw, etc. fundamentals.

2. Find IPSC or IDPA for trigger time. Note they are games and not real training.
Old July 14, 2008, 08:59 PM   #15
rgoers

Free Range

Used to have an old abandoned gravel pit across the street from my house in NY. The guy who owned it let me shoot there any time I wanted to. It was a 3 minute walk out my front door. There was also an endless supply of glass, as someone obviously used it as a dump for many, many years. Nothing like blasting bottles to sharpen your aim. Sweet!!!

Once I got to FL, I was sadly disappointed. It was my first time at a range - ever! It took less than a minute to realize just how spoiled I was in NY...
Old July 16, 2008, 11:17 PM   #16
Hardtarget

Even with your own land, its hard to shoot like you are wanting to. Unless you have a deep gultch or wash/ drainage with good,natural, back stop. Otherwise, you'll have to be very aware of all houses surrounding the range. Thats what I found when setting up our range. Then my brother built a workshop almost in line with the backstop.

My friend put an end to his worries. His range has a 20 foot high berm. It's U shaped, 20 yards across and 70 yards max for distance. I covet his range.

Mark.