The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2009, 05:37 PM   #176
JIsabelle218

My little setup

Attached is my little piece of heaven.

I'm currently renting but about to buy a house in North West Louisiana.
Have a quick question, I notice alot of pics seem to be man caves in garages. . .Should I have any reservations building a new man cave for my reloading in my new garage keeping in mind NE Louisiana's hot humid summers or would the powder and primers be okay?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0162z.jpg (145.1 KB, 1704 views)
Old July 15, 2009, 06:36 PM   #177
Sevens

Personally, I wouldn't do my reloading in a non-climate controlled place if I had the option of staying indoors, and that goes double for places that get really hot & humid such as Louisiana. Unless you are really hurting for space, I'd take a smaller spot inside over a huge spot in the garage for the operation.
Old July 15, 2009, 09:41 PM   #178
Jim243

Sanity Space
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0838.jpg (235.5 KB, 1338 views)
Old July 16, 2009, 07:43 PM   #179
alloy

Quote:
I notice alot of pics seem to be man caves in garages
When I got caught annealing over the kitchen range...it was the last straw
Fits better out in the garage anyway. Lo-tech but it seems to work.

Last edited by alloy; July 16, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old July 16, 2009, 08:22 PM   #180
oneounceload

Quote:
Have a quick question, I notice alot of pics seem to be man caves in garages. . .Should I have any reservations building a new man cave for my reloading in my new garage keeping in mind NE Louisiana's hot humid summers or would the powder and primers be okay?
I live in humid FL, my garage averages 97 degrees in the summer. I keep my components inside, but I load them outside with a fan blowing, then move the components back inside
Old July 18, 2009, 09:43 PM   #181
number2onmyshoe

Here's what I've got, I started with what's on the right many years ago, and I just added onto the bench & cabinet (on the left where the presses are mounted), still working out where to put everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reloadingbench.jpg (223.2 KB, 1307 views)
Old July 19, 2009, 08:53 AM   #182
boy412

This is a great thread, especially for people considering getting into reloading. Some of you clearly take your reloading very seriously and your setup resembles a small shop. Others have a very simple, modest setup made from old computer desks, homemade wooden benches, and welded steel worktables.

It gives me a sense of how deep I want to get into this...and how much space I need to dedicate to the process. Very inspirational in some cases! Its clear that organization is key, as is a stable bench.

Thanks for all the photos!
Old July 19, 2009, 05:19 PM   #183
Joe Rush

Quote:
I live in the Four States area in NE Texas. All of my equipment is set up in my garage. I keep my powder inside the house for storage, but my primers stay in the garage and havn't had any problems out of them. If it is realy humid (say above 85%) when I'm ready to reload, I just poor up just about the amount that I think I need and leave the rest inside. I would suggest to keep a light oil on your arbor press rod so it dosn't rust, but be mindful of what you lube up. You can get the silicon moisture eater pack to keep in your die cases also.
Old July 19, 2009, 09:29 PM   #184
oldreloader

new bench

I just finished building a new one.All I lack is painting it, setting it in the utility room, and moving all my stuff onto it.
Old July 19, 2009, 09:35 PM   #185
oldreloader

new bench II

I'll try again.The pics didn't go through in the last post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bench2.JPG (188.2 KB, 1415 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Bench4.JPG (211.0 KB, 1029 views)
File Type: jpg S5000776.JPG (196.7 KB, 917 views)
Old July 20, 2009, 09:57 AM   #186
Green Hornet

so im interested in getting started in re-loading....and know nothing. the only thing i know is what i did for my grandfather when i was 8. he "let" me do his shotgun shells and then he would take me to the range with him. what do i need, and so on. i was thinking of doing everything, even maybe melting my own led. any help or thoughts. thanks,
Old July 20, 2009, 12:01 PM   #187
HeroHog

I have older versions of both your single stage presses! They are both still going strong.

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old July 20, 2009, 09:19 PM   #188
bruceflinch

Guess I'm a slob compared to the rest of you guys. But it works for me.

Keep one 650 set up for Large primers & one for Small primers. I use the Rockchucker for my Bolt rifles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guns 013.jpg (39.0 KB, 974 views)
File Type: jpg guns 017.jpg (38.8 KB, 534 views)
Old July 20, 2009, 09:21 PM   #189
a.codyfasig

Me and my Dads Man Cave

Old July 21, 2009, 02:26 PM   #190
SnakeCharmer

Some of your guys reloading spaces make me feel pretty inadequate. My buddy and I actually share a space in his basement. All I have at the moment is a crappy cell phone picture of my section of the space. There is actually an L-shaped bench with my station on the left and his station on the right section. He uses a Dillon progressive setup and loads about a dozen different calibers. I myself only load .380ACP, 9mm, .40S&W and .45 ACP. I use and old 60's model Lyman single stage inherited from my father to decap and resize, prime on a lee hand primer and perform the remaining operations on a Lee 3 hole turret press. It isnt impressive but its very comfortable and provides a very good work flow for me.

Old July 21, 2009, 03:41 PM   #191
Hydraulicman

Nice set up snake charmer. I always like to see those old single stage presses.

They are so simple and cheap to load on.
Old July 25, 2009, 10:15 AM   #192
KB8UBL

"Man Cave (no girls allowed)"

I love this thread, lots of pride in these pictures and plenty to defend our second ammendment rights. I've noticed one common theme throughout... we all need more storage space! I have tools and product all over. The garage, the closet, the bedroom, the office... How does it go, "Bigger the space, more the stuff" I guess it's a good thing. Keep the photos coming, tell your friends to register then post their bench of pride. Thanks guys,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Man Cave (no girls allowed) 007.jpg (260.2 KB, 1197 views)

Last edited by KB8UBL; July 25, 2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old July 25, 2009, 10:18 AM   #193
cgaengineer

Man, I got to clean up my gun room today!
Old July 25, 2009, 10:51 AM   #194
howlnmad

SnakeCharmer, not to be a buzz killer but I hope you weren't doing anything important like weighing charges with those beer bottles on the bench.
Old July 25, 2009, 12:03 PM   #195
KB8UBL

I was thinking the same thing; note the dead soldier on the left end of the bench!
Old July 25, 2009, 04:43 PM   #196
WhistlerSWE

I'm just starting out with reloading, I've been buying stuff the last two months and yesterday I produced my first two boxes of 9mm! Shooting them today was very satisfying!
(they performed decently as well)

I began by building a table in my attic storage space. I live in an apartment building, so there's not much room to use. The table is
securely fastened in the concrete and the roof beams.

Then I put stuff on, in and around it!

It may not be much, but its mine!
Old July 26, 2009, 01:59 PM   #197
KB8UBL

Whistler, nice setup and it sounds like it's very secure. Anchoring your bench to structure is essential for a smooth operating press. The manual to my press lists a nonsturdy bench as the first issue to resolve when trouble shooting a feed problem. Looks like you have the attic all to your self, that should provide a ton of storage space for you. Does the attic get warm? What's the weather like where you live?
Old July 26, 2009, 02:35 PM   #198
frjeff

"Completed" Set Up

Some of you have seem my bench as it progressed from scraps of wood in the shed to the present.

I have now reloaded both 9mm and .38 SPL on the bench and both were very satisfying (and accurate) to fire at the range.

Now, working on a data logbook to keep good track of what I have reloaded, how it grouped, etc.

This is good fun!

Jeff+
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jul262009_0786.jpg (162.3 KB, 1055 views)
Old July 26, 2009, 03:49 PM   #199
oneounceload

Quote:
so im interested in getting started in re-loading....and know nothing. the only thing i know is what i did for my grandfather when i was 8. he "let" me do his shotgun shells and then he would take me to the range with him. what do i need, and so on. i was thinking of doing everything, even maybe melting my own led. any help or thoughts. thanks,
There's a sticky at the top of this section that has lots of good data.

Depending on whether you're loading shotshell or metallic, some things (like the press) will be different.

Press, dies, scale, kinetic bullet puller for those oops, powder measure, reloading trays are handy, etc., etc., etc............

Rifle reloading, you'll also want to add a trimmer, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner and on and on....
Old July 27, 2009, 08:23 PM   #200
skyflyer

I have posted these pictures on other forums but finally got around to posting them here to bump this thread back to the top.