The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2005, 12:12 PM   #1
sthrnfryedyankee

shooting 2 3/4" or 3" slugs out of a 3.5" chamber MORE ?z

ive been hearing majorly mixed reviews on this subject i want to purchase mossberg 935 turkey gun w/optional seperate slug barrel but ive read that a
2 3/4 or 3" slugs can get hung up or bobble down the barrel of a 3.5" chamber is this true.

what other "good" shotgun manufacturers offer semi-auto 3" or less for slugs and turkey load barrels for the same gun?

are shotguns shooting slugs good for heavier brush when deer hunting

I shoot a 7mag in open territory but i want something universal for deer and turkey in heavier brush what would every1 recommend

does a semi-auto ****gun have less recoil than a pump shotgun
Old November 27, 2005, 12:55 PM   #2
L-2

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...s/model_11-87/
http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodin...y.asp?cat=009C

1. I'd start surfing the sites, above. Remington and Winchester are generally thought to be "good" brands and do have guns with 3" chambers, as well as 3.5" chambers.
2. (Heavy) Brush could deflect your slug.
3. ('just brain-storming here...) Patterning your selected weapon; bringing along two different chokes; bringing two different guns; self-discipline to hunt only one game at a time.
4. Gas-operated semi-autos generally impart less recoil to the shooter. Other types, i.e., inertia semi-autos, don't feel much different from pump actions.

Let us all know what you decide upon! Good luck!
Old November 28, 2005, 02:45 PM   #3
bclark1

my understanding is the 935 is meant SOLELY for magnum shells, not for 2.75"ers. for turkey and deer slugs that's fine if you ask me, you only run into problems with upland. among semi-autos a lot of 3.5" chambers have problems cycling 2.75" shells. however i've shot all three shell sizes out of my mossberg 835 (w/ rifled slug barrel) and winchester super x2, and never had any problems. sabots can be unreliable though, expecially if your'e not meticulous with your cleaning. sometimes the plastic can strip and fill rifling, and even in a smoothbore barrel the plastic can seperate from the bullet at slightly different times, causing its trajectory to get goofy. i've never heard of this problem with regular slugs, unless you shoot them out of a rifled barrel and let it get really gunked with lead.
Old November 28, 2005, 10:40 PM   #4
baf2003

i don't know about winchester or remington, but my new england firearms 3" 20ga has no problem with 2 3/4" slugs