The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 27, 2011, 04:12 PM   #26
spclPatrolGroup

I did the same thing, I shot 200 rounds a day for a week for practice, even though i am an above average shot, and I could throw my gun and hit the target at the distances we were talking about, I just didnt want to do anything foolish, then when I had to qualify, I dont even know if the instructer looked my way, or checked my target, he probably saw that I knew what i was doing and moved on.
Old January 27, 2011, 06:29 PM   #27
raimius

Quote:
One of the guys in the class my wife and I went to was remarking how no woman could ever shoot a 45 and his massive experience was more than any lady could compete with.
Then this man has never tried, or just felt like talking out of his posterior.

I've seen women shoot them just as well as I can, and I've helped teach a few women on .45ACP pistols. It's not that hard at all. There is a slightly higher tendency for people to develop a twitch vs. learning on a less powerful cartridge, but that goes for both genders.
Old January 28, 2011, 10:36 AM   #28
pgdion

Quote:
he probably saw that I knew what i was doing and moved on.
You know, I think that kind of nails it. Thinking about it, it was the same during my qual, the instructors walked by a little but really spent their time with a few who were struggling or looked inexperienced. If you seemed to know what you were doing then they just let you shoot and scored your target.
I agree with Hondauto, it's worth taking the class just so you have a good understanding of the laws. Even if you don't want to carry, if you have a gun in your house for protection, you should take the class just for that reason. They spent a lot of time covering all scenarios for the use of deadly force. I had 2 excellent instructors, both cops, both training instructors, one was a sergeant and the other was on the SWAT team. They really do a great course.
Old January 29, 2011, 08:11 PM   #29
dawg23

As is the case in a lot of other "professions," there are excellent concealed handgun instructors and there are some poor ones. Houston is not immune to this phenomenon.

Send me PM and I'll be glad to offer the names a a couple of outstanding instructors in the Houston area.

Keep in mind your goal in attending this class isn't so much to learn how to shoot as it is to learn when to shoot. And, hopefully, there will also be a big dose of "How to avoid getting shot." included in the curriculum.

The instructor you want is the guy who knows the Texas deadly force statutes, concealed carry statutes and concealed carry rules from "A to Z."
Old February 1, 2011, 11:42 AM   #30
Ian2005

CCW

I was never "marketed too" but I can see how it would happen. I too took my CCW in Houston (Carters Country - North) and the instructor was a retired LEO who knew his stuff and brought plenty of knowledge to the table. The test was easy, and if you already know how to shoot, the range part is going to be a breeze. Our class had this senior couple (70's) who came in and the wife had an Accidental Discharge where she put a bullet in the dirt 5 feet in front of her from her brand new, never fired Beretta - guess what, she still passed. Nice people, god help her if she ever had to defend her life with it though.
Old February 1, 2011, 02:01 PM   #31
orionengnr

Seems like a number of people are talking about where they took their class and overlooking the fact that the OP lives in TX.

That said, the class (when I took it) consisted of about 4 hours legal and moral aspects of self-defense and a thorough review of applicable state laws. That was the morning session.

Then a quick lunch break, followed by a safety briefing, then a review/fam of semi-autos and revolvers (nomenclature, operation). Fingerprints and photos were taken off to one side during the classroom session, one applicant at a time.
A review of test protocols, then the written test, grading, and an opportunity to ask questions.

Then we filled out the paperwork package for the state DPS. Off to the range, do the shooting section (described in a previous post) and after getting our scores, we were free to go.

As they had provided picture, fingerprints, package, etc, all that remained was to write a check, stick it in the pre-addressed manila envelope, add postage and wait.

Well-run, one stop shopping, a very pleasant experience.
Old February 7, 2011, 11:55 PM   #32
chadk7

Well getting my permit consisted of going to the sheriffs dept and filling out a form and living them 50 bucks. Then I sent $75 down to the state police and they sent me back my lifetime permit. I love Indiana.
Old February 10, 2011, 02:46 PM   #33
bikerbill

When I took my class in '04, one of my classmates was a woman who had just purchased a .38 snubbie and had never even fired it ... she passed, with a bit of help from the instructor ... sounds like you have all the bases covered, practice and knowledge of your weapon being high on the importance scale .. don't worry, be happy, you'll do fine ...