The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2009, 12:21 PM   #1
balazona

Federal 12 gauge 2 3/4" rifled slugs

How is the performance of these foster type slugs.are they good for long range defence.
Old August 8, 2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

Try the "Truball" rifled slugs (I prefer the low recoil version). Excellent long range accuracy from smoothbore shotguns. Much better than their plain old slug. Really only limited by the sights. I shoot them in a 20" smoothbore with rifle-type sights, a bead sight was not able to get the most of their acuracy.

PB127LRS
http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...ug.aspx?id=395
Old August 8, 2009, 01:24 PM   #3
RaisedByWolves

Also check out the Brenneke slugs.

Old August 8, 2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Foster is a bit more accurate at 100 yards then the Brenneke but both will suffice, nobody wants 1 oz of lead stuck in them. Most likely you won't be shooting more than 75 yards and with rifle sights, ghost ring or scope you are as good as a rifle. I only use Brenneke more because that is usually what I find on the shelf.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--