The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Lee Turret Press Kit

My wife bought me a Lee Turret Press Kit for my birthday. It should be shipped to me this week. It includes:
  • Auto Disk Powder Measure
  • Scales
  • Primer Pocket Cleaner
  • Trimming and deburring tool

While I'm waiting for it to show up at my door, I am going to purchase some of the other things I will need which include (I think):
  • .45 and 9mm RCBS Dies
  • Caliper
  • Shell holders
  • Primers
  • Bullets
  • Powder

I've already got the Lyman 49th edition and a bench. Please let me know if there is anything else I need that I am overlooking or if I am getting something I don't need.
Old August 22, 2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Roger Ronas

Loading Blocks, May be a way to clean brass (tumbler), Brass,
Old August 22, 2011, 04:27 PM   #3
praetorian97

Kenetic Bullet Puller
Containers (Coffee Cans, Bins)
C Clamps
Containers for Completed Rounds

Sonic Cleaner???

Here is my bench. See if you need anything there.

Old August 22, 2011, 04:33 PM   #4
excelerater

buy as you go,dont spend money you dont need to
most of the stuff folks suggest ends up being a waste of cash
Old August 22, 2011, 04:57 PM   #5
howlnmad

At least a second reloading manual. It's always best to cross reference load data and you can always get more from manufacturs websites. Unless you have it to waste, don't go dumping a lot of cash on something you don't need to get started, add it as you go. Beleave me, you'll always be adding.

By the way, which turret press, the deluxe or the classic?
Old August 22, 2011, 04:59 PM   #6
praetorian97

You can also use Alliants and Hodgdons website as your free reliable second source site.

http://www.hodgdon.com/

http://www.alliantpowder.com/
Old August 22, 2011, 05:07 PM   #7
beex215

shell holders come with the die set. just buy that

http://www.youtube.com/user/beehasagun1?feature=mhee
Old August 22, 2011, 05:27 PM   #8
boxerrider

powder through

On my Classic Turret the powder measure attaches to an extension which in turn attaches to Lee's powder-through expander die. I'm not sure it will work with the RCBS dies.
Can anybody confirm this one way or the other?
Can anybody remember what they really call that extender?

Enjoy!
Old August 22, 2011, 05:37 PM   #9
praetorian97

Im running with Hornady and RCBS dies just fine.

If you are talking about using an expander die other than Lee then the answer is no. I just picked up a 45acp/40 cal expander powder through dies. They were less than $10 a piece. I also got a charge through rifle die for my 223 but it works on other cals too.
Old August 22, 2011, 05:41 PM   #10
lamarw

As your second manual, I would suggest the Lee manual since it will also provide additional information on your Lee specific equipment.

I am not sure why you want the RCBS dies over the Lee, but it is your choice. You may want to compare prices on the two.

I would highly recommend you also acquire the following: (they are all relatively inexpensive and will save you lots of reloading time and aggravation)

1. "Lee Safety Primer Kit" which comes with the "Feed Small and Large". SKU 90997
2. Lee Auto-Disk Riser. SKU 90041
3. Lee Adjustable Charge Bar. SKU 90792

The powder measure comes with one riser, but you will need an additional to help your powder measure to clear the primer feeder.

The powder measure comes with measureing disk, but I hate them and prefer the charge bar. This is a personal issue, and you will be OK with the disk.
Old August 22, 2011, 05:48 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

I would recomed also upgrading to a better scale. I own the Lee scale. It works, and is very accurate. It is not as user friendly as most of the others that are out there. They are also a whole lot easier to read.
Old August 22, 2011, 06:34 PM   #12
CrustyFN

I would recommend Lee dies. You are going to need the Lee powder through expander die in each caliber for the powder measure anyway. I use all Lee dies and have been very happy with them. The shell holder will come with the dies. You will also want the auto disk riser if you are going to use the safety prime.
Old August 22, 2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Lost Sheep

Welcome, and thanks for asking our advice

Don't get the RCBS dies. They are good dies, but will not work with the Auto-Disk Powder measure. (This was already mentioned by boxrider, but he buried the headline.)

Beex215 mentioned that the Lee Dies come with the shell holder included. No other die maker does that.

The piece that raises the Auto-Disk up so it clears the Primer Feed device is called the Auto-Disk Riser, or just "Riser". Get two. Using both ensures clearance, and they work fine stacked.

If you have the Pro Auto-Disk, it comes with the swivel adapter which makes it easier to position the powder measure centered over the axis of rotation (and further from the primer feed device). The standard Auto-Disk (to my knowledge) does not come with it, so you might consider buying one of those.

Congratulations of marrying such a fine wife.

Lost Sheep
Old August 23, 2011, 08:05 AM   #14
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlnmad
By the way, which turret press, the deluxe or the classic?
It's the deluxe kit, should be arriving any day now.
Old August 23, 2011, 08:10 AM   #15
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&p45acp10+1
I would recomed also upgrading to a better scale.
What would you suggest upgrading to. I would prefer to upgrade to a digital one if I'm going to upgrade.
Old August 23, 2011, 08:12 AM   #16
Roland Thunder

Quote:
I am not sure why you want the RCBS dies over the Lee
I really don't have a preference, I just copy and pasted out of another post and it had RCBS. I forgot to take it out. I'll get Lee.
Old August 23, 2011, 09:08 AM   #17
Roland Thunder

Thanks for everyone's help with this

It is duly appreciated
Old August 23, 2011, 11:23 AM   #18
Roland Thunder

Lee dies confusion

I was geting ready to order some Lee dies from Midway. I noticed Lee Carbide 4-Die Set 9mm Luger contains the factory crimp die and the Lee Carbide 3-set die does not.

Is the factory crimp die really needed? The sales rep at Midway told me that the Bullet Seater Die has an adjustable crimp from slight taper to full roll
Old August 23, 2011, 12:05 PM   #19
praetorian97

Not needed for 9mm pistol. Crimp is a must for rounds such as 223 being fired in a AR style rifle.
Old August 23, 2011, 02:22 PM   #20
Roland Thunder

One thing I've noticed in looking through several reloading manuals (like Lymans 49th and Hornaday) is that they only offer one or 2 bullets for each caliber/grain.

For instance, in Lymans for 9mm Luger, it suggests
Sierra JHP #8100 90gr
Sierra FMJ #8105 95gr
Hornaday HP/XTP #35540 115gr
Sierra JHP #8125 125gr
Speer TMJ #4006 147gr

That's it, one bullet for each weight in 9mm. So , what do you do if you want to load 9mm 125gr and you can't find Sierra JHP #8125 anywhere, find another manual? Any substitutions?

Last edited by Roland Thunder; August 23, 2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old August 23, 2011, 09:08 PM   #21
Jim243

Quote:
Any substitutions?
Yep, same weight and type.

Jim
Old August 24, 2011, 09:05 AM   #22
Don P

Quote:
While I'm waiting for it to show up at my door, I am going to purchase some of the other things I will need which include (I think):
.45 and 9mm RCBS Dies
Why the RCBS dies? Why not buy the Lee carbide dies, less money and just as good and they will fit the press without issue. With a little shopping you can get the 4 carbide die sets for around $33-38
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 24, 2011, 09:37 AM   #23
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
Why the RCBS dies? Why not buy the Lee carbide dies
The mention of RCBS was because I copied and pasted it from another post. That was an oversight. I plan to get Lee dies.

Since you mentioned the 4 die set, it also contains the factory crimp die. Can you tell me the difference between the taper crimp die and the factory crimp die
Old August 24, 2011, 09:54 AM   #24
Cruz5350

Greg I've run into the same problem with buying bullets not found in the manuals. What I do is take the design IE. Round Nose or Hollow Point that are of the same weight as say a Speer or Hornady and use the info in the manual. Always starting with the min charge listed. I'm local in ATL myself so if you have anyquestions let me know.
Old August 24, 2011, 11:24 AM   #25
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz5350
Greg I've run into the same problem with buying bullets not found in the manuals
I was hoping to hear that.

I was surprised to find that the some of the manuals only provide one bullet for each weight for a specific caliber. Example, Lymans 47th for 9mm Luger in 115gr lists Hornady XTP Bullets 9mm (355 Diameter) 115 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point #35540 and that's it. Hornadays only lists one for 115gr 9mm (not the same one as Lymans) as well. So, if we only use what the books show with no substitutions and there are only a dozen or so reloading manuals on the market (just guessing but you get my point) and they each only list one bullet per caliber/weight then everyone that reloads is pretty much using the same thing.

So, are you saying that if Lymans lists Hornady XTP Bullets 9mm (355 Diameter) 115 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point #35540 I could use Remington Bullets 9mm (355 Diameter) 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket instead.

BTW...do you buy your reloading stuff local in ATL?

Last edited by Roland Thunder; August 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM.