The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 27, 2008, 07:14 PM   #1
rolyasm

three sets of things I don't know how to use-pics included

Most of what I am using to reload had been handed down from my g-pa. Not sure if it is all complete or not. Thought maybe you smart ones could tell me if these next items look complete, and how I would assemble and use them.
Item one is Forster Case Trimmer. It is in three pieces. The piece on the left fits into the main housing on the left cylinder. Not sure where the small piece on the right fits or if I need more items to make the trimmer work.

Next item is a bullet puller. The piece on the right says RCBS 22 caliber, so I am assuming I need one of these pieces for each type of bullet I wish to pull.

Last thing is a swager. I'll wager I don't know how to use it. RCBS Primer Swager Small. I put the pieces on the table from left to right so you would be able to easier explain how to assemble/use.
Thanks for any ideas on these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trimmer.JPG (139.3 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Bullet Puller.JPG (134.3 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Swager.JPG (138.2 KB, 141 views)
Old August 28, 2008, 08:49 AM   #2
wpcexpert

I have the very same trimmer. You will need the other collets and pilots for other calibers and size cases. The collet goes into the T-handle looking thing. Then they both go into the left side and tighten, but not all the way.

Your case will go into the collet, if the one you have is the right one for your case. There are different size rings inside the collet. Once the case is in the collet, tighten to secure the case.

The pilot is in the end of the long shaft that spins when the handle is spun. It's there to ensure a uniform, even cut of the case. You will also need different pilots dependant on your case size. You can remove and exchange the Pilot by an Allen screw on the shaft.

You will also need a good set of dial calipers to measure the overall case length. The cutter is adjusted by the Allen screws on the handle. The "stop" is there so that once you get the first case trimmed down to where you want it, you set that and lock it down with an adjacent set screw. Then you can go to town on the rest of the cases.

It will take a bit to get it all set up. Give it a try, if you can't seem to get it to work, PM me and we will see what we can do.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old August 28, 2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Sevens

In your picture of the swager, you actually have two different tools. The black rod and the heavy round black base is merely a manual decapper. Place the brass (likely .223) in to the black base, insert the decapping pin and wack it with a hammer. The idea is to remove crimped-in primers from military brass.

Some military brass has the primer crimped in place to guard against primers backing out under the stress and motion of full-auto fire in certain platforms. This keeps the primer in place, reducing misfires and misfeeds, but makes the brass more difficult to reload. Since the military doesn't reload, they don't really care if the primer is hard to remove.

The swager is the tool that clears out the primer pocket and cuts it to spec if there are traces of crimp in there which would make a new primer difficult to seat. It pretty much just uses brute force to cut it's way through any obstruction in the primer pocket.

If you don't ever use milsurp brass, you won't ever use either of these tools. And not all milsurp brass will need this work, either.
Old August 28, 2008, 09:05 AM   #4
wogpotter

The bullet puller will also need the correct sized inserts for the caliber of bullet (not case) that you want to pull.
The die screws into a press, the same as any other die. You'll find it easier to use if you set it so that the bullet being pulled (& the case this time) "grabs" at the most advantage for the presses pulling power.
The insert is screwed into the handle thru the die body, but left loose.

To pull a bullet you raise the press ram till the end of the insert is just clear of the end of the case brass (This allows maximum grip on the bullet).
Holding the case in position tighten the insert (collet) by tughtening the handle on the top till you feel it grip.
Now lower the ram & the bullet is pulle dclear of the case.
Loosten the screw handle & remove the bullet from the jaws of the collet.
Old August 28, 2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Sevens

The bullet puller-- it's a collet-type bullet puller.

There are two types of bullet puller, and each is good in it's own way and lousy in other ways. The collet puller is great if you have, say, 50 pieces of old milsurp ammo that you want to break down and reclaim the bullets from. It needs to be jacketed bullets for them to work and as you said, you do need a collet in each caliber (well, in each bullet diameter) to be able to pull bullets. (in other words, if you have the .224 collet, you can pull .223, .222, .22-250, .220 Swift, etc) Collet pullers can leave a mark on the bullet if that matters to you. But if you have a bunch to process, it takes little physical effort and it's fairly quick.

The other more common bullet puller is the inertia or kinetic bullet puller-- looks like a plastic or aluminum & plastic hammer. You unscrew the cap, place a loaded round in to the little mouthpiece, tighten the plastic cap and then you pound it like a hammer on to a chunk of wood and inertia allows the bullet to move forward while the brass case is held in place and after 3 or 4 wacks, the bullet falls out in to the enclosed tip of the hammer, along with the powder charge.

This kinetic bullet puller is a MUST HAVE at any reloading bench, IMO. It's a tool to undo screw ups at the bench. It's slower if you have many to do as you have to screw/unscrew eat time and empty out the bullet and powder charge, and it takes more physical effort. (noisy, too) But if you have one screw up and want to undo it right now, it's a helluva lot easier to pull out the hammer than it is to unscrew your bullet seating die, screw in a collet press mounted puller, find the proper collet, and then pull that bullet. Of course, you have to then unscrew the puller, get out the die you were using before, screw it back in, etc etc. Also, the kinetic puller doesn't care what type of bullets you've seated -- lead, full wadcutter, doesn't matter. Inertia pulls them out, not a grabbing and pulling like the collet puller.

You can get a kinentic puller for $12-$20. I used a Midway branded one for 15+ years before I finally broke it. I replaced with with an RCBS model and it works fine also. The collet bullet puller is a more specialized tool.
Old August 28, 2008, 09:57 AM   #6
rolyasm

you guys are da bomb diggities. Thanks. I label them so I don't forget.