The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2001, 04:35 PM   #26
Steve Smith

In my post, dated 12-08-01, at 10:10: pm, I said the following:

"Citadel, from what I've seen and hearing other's results, matching the measure to your powder is often the best way to get the most consistent loads"

What do you people not understand about this statement? I did not say that the the Dillon measure was the be all and end all of powder measures. I said, (I'll say it AGAIN) "matching the measure to your powder is often the best way"

I don't use long stick powders in my Dillon, because I did get some pretty large variances using IMR 4895. I don't think that a Uniflow or any other measure would do well with this stuff, though. The grains are just too big...the only way to do it well is to trickle it or use an electronic trickler. I switched to a short stick, RL15 in fact, for my AR match loads, and it meters amazingly well. I don't think that a Uniflow or a Harrell's would do any better than my Dillon using RL15, its that good.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old December 10, 2001, 04:39 PM   #27
Steve Smith

Citadel...

We kinda got sidetracked here...you never answered the most important question (IMHO anyway). How large are your variances, and with what type of powder? Also, what caliber are you reloading for?

The larger the caliber, the more variance you can accept, as the percentage of variance is less.

I would not accept the variance I got with 4895 in my Dillon for .223, but I can accept it for .308.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old December 10, 2001, 09:54 PM   #28
Gunzo

I use a Redding mod. #3BR, and I'm very pleased with it. For a 220 Swift I throw IMR4064. My pact chrono shows an extreme velocity spread of 13fps. That tells me that the Redding is verrry consistant.

Gunzo
Old December 10, 2001, 11:06 PM   #29
Steve Smith

With my 77's, I get about 13 fps SD, and with the 80's I get about 10. That's not on a small lot, but over 30 rounds each.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old December 10, 2001, 11:23 PM   #30
CITADELGRAD87

This came back from the dead.

My answers to the questions posed are:

So far I am exclusivly loading for .308 and .243.

I am only using IMR 4064, and am very happy with the results.

I don't know that variance, I am using the beam scale that came with my Lee anniversary kit, it's either balanced or it's not, and since my measure wouldn't repeat very well, I set the measure to dump slightly under, then I hand trickle it up to perfect.

Your questions raise another from me: How does it HAVE to be?

BTW, with my measure each charge load, I am about 1/2 at 100 yards from my .308, my dad's .243 runs about an inch.